Public WiFi

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

One week with Mandriva and it seems to work pretty well. However while wireless works fine on my home (encrypted) network, I have not managed to get it to connect to any of the 3 public WiFi networks I have come across. The machine can see the network but can't connect. Has anyone else had this problem?

Guest, Nov 21, 2008
  2. Guest

viva

I had an issue like that once, too, until I figured out that I saved a profile with a specified IP adress for my AA1 at home while on public spots they use DHCP. Silly, but it took me a few days to figure it out. One tend to forget the easy steps first :D

viva, Nov 21, 2008
  3. Guest

Tamrac

Mine works on every public wifi I've tried to connect to. Sometimes the key is to click on monitor, and use the connect to internet button. Rather than the connect button on the 1st network connection screen.

Tamrac, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Guest

sk3rmo

Mine works on every public wifi I've tried to connect to. Sometimes the key is to click on monitor, and use the connect to internet button. Rather than the connect button on the 1st network connection screen.[/quote]

how is this again? Sorry newbie here.

thanks

sk3rmo, Nov 22, 2008
  5. Guest

JimK

Another thing you might try is go into Firefox's network preferences, where it says "Configure Proxies to Access the Internet" change it from No Proxy (or whatever the default is) to Auto-Detect Proxy Settings for this Network.

a

c=

JimK, Nov 22, 2008
  6. Guest

brad0022

I am having this problem badly. It has pissed me off so much.

brad0022, Nov 27, 2008
  7. Guest

Dulwithe

I couldn't get mandriva to connect to my WEP networks (and maybe unencrypted networks, too - I don't remember) until I did the following:

Edit your present wireless connection through network manager. In "Advanced" dialogue, where there is a dhclient drop down box, change the selection to "dhcpcd" then okay, okay... (Mandriva will download some packages, then you should be able to connect to your wireless network A-ok) . Now, it works fine.

D.

Dulwithe, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question