Project - SSD Mods

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Ariel, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Ariel

hunter306

I've seen that same 'Admin' related error when installing Windows XP using the CF Adapter. I haven't figured out the problem at this point.
    I was using a 4gb Hitachi Microdrive however.

hunter306, Jul 30, 2008
  2. Ariel

Martini-man

Did you all install as FAT or NTFS?

Martini-man, Jul 30, 2008
  3. Ariel

pinchez

This is a worry.

I've just bought a16GB 300x CF I really hope it's all going to work :cry:

Stupidly Just noticed Andy as actually cut the AA1 to fit the ZIF to CF adaptor, I thought I would only have to cut the adaptor. Is there anyway of fitting the adaptor in without cutting the AA1?

I think I'm going to give up and sell the AA1 if I have to cut it to do this mod :(

pinchez, Jul 30, 2008
  4. Ariel

Martini-man

I've done that benchmark test and write speed is 20 MB/s and read speed 46 MB/s...

It should be faster on the write side...

What's wrong?

[​IMG]

It still stalls why?

About the update...

Installing from external cd drive or USB pen just kept somethings different...

So what I did was install windows xp on my other laptop and after that I made a ghost with hiren's boot cd.

Made a bootable win98 usb pen with the ghost.exe extrated from hiren't boot cd...

Restore to the ssd and in 8 minutes i got xp installed...

Just put the drivers and it's a full xp ready to go...

Martini-man, Jul 31, 2008
  5. Ariel

ind

Andy, do you experience any pausing or stalls after your upgrade to CF? Martini-man says that he is still stalling after the upgrade.

I'm still decided on CF or 1.8HDD. I don't want any stalls in Windows, and would prefer CF. Can you comment on your experiences with Windows and your CF?

Thanks!

ind, Jul 31, 2008
  6. Ariel

yummy

my CF with xp is fast with no stalls only problem is my windows update issue.

yummy, Jul 31, 2008
  7. Ariel

Martini-man

yummy what's your CF card?

Martini-man, Jul 31, 2008
  8. Ariel

ind

Anyone else with CF getting windows update problem? Those that are, did you complete a full windows install or was it cut through BartPE or nLite to reduce size?

ind, Jul 31, 2008
  9. Ariel

yummy

Sandisk extreme III

yummy, Jul 31, 2008
  10. Ariel

mmikko

I ordered Sandisk Extreme IV 8gb CF-card. Does this CF to ZIF adapter support such high speed card? Write 45mb/s and read 45mb/s? Or maybe i buy buy 100gb 1,8" ZIF hard drive.. Price is same but I want as much speed as possible...

mmikko, Jul 31, 2008
  11. Ariel

yummy

that cf should work fine.

found a fix for the 0x8ddd0002 windows update error, will post back soon.

yummy, Jul 31, 2008
  12. Ariel

yummy

"'Admin' related errors with windows update" FIX

1) download "Hitachi Microdrive" driver from http://xpefiles.com/cs/files/folders/ha ... ry616.aspx
    it will be called "XPfildrvr1224_320.zip" and extract it any where.

2) edit the cfadisk.inf with notepad

dont need to edit much just delete some lines and edit one.

from [cfadisk_device] you see this

---------------------------------------------------------------
    [cfadisk_device]
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DSCM-11000__________________________SC2IC801
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DSCM-11000__________________________SC2IC815
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DSCM-11000__________________________SC2IC915

%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DSCM-10512__________________________SC1IC801
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DSCM-10512__________________________SC1IC815
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DSCM-10512__________________________SC1IC915

%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DMDM-10340__________________________MD2IC501
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DMDM-10340__________________________MD2IC601

make it look like this

[cfadisk_device]
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskIBM-DSCM-11000__________________________SC2IC801

pretty much removing the line of codes we dont need.

after that open up your Registry Editor

Start > Run > type "regedit" then press Enter

from the default root area make your way to

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\IDE"

Find the device name for your CF card, for example mine was "DiskSanDisk_SDCFX3-008G__________________________HDX_4.30"

copy that device name down then close your Registry Editor

now go back to your cfadisk.inf that you had opened with notepad and replace the line of code right after

"%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\" with your CF card device name.

should look like this

BEFORE

[cfadisk_device]

AFTER

[cfadisk_device]
    %Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskSanDisk_SDCFX3-008G__________________________HDX_4.30

now save what you done.

Now go to your Device Manager > Disk drives > right click on your compactflash card > update driver >
    check "no, not this time" > next > check "Install from a list or specific location" >
    next > check "dont search" > next > click on have disk then point it towards the place where you extracted
    the driver files the ones you edited and select it click next accept next next done reboot and your done.

after reboot everything should work ok if you didnt mess up ;0

sorry for typos :lol:

yummy, Jul 31, 2008
  13. Ariel

pinchez

Thanks for that yummy, very much appreciated :)

My 16GB Transcend 300x CF turned up today but i'm still in two minds about doing this mod as I really don't want to cut my AA1, Not bothered about butchering the adaptor though!

pinchez, Jul 31, 2008
  14. Ariel

pinchez

I installed my Transcend 16GB 300x CF card today and all went well but i did have to cut my AA1 :( at least it's only on the inside. I've basicly done the same as Andy.

What wasn't so easy is trying to create a method of installing Windows XP pro SP3 from a USB drive. My 8GB patriot wouldn't work at all as a boot drive because it's too large I needed something under 2GB, remembering i had a 1GB USB MP3 player i tried that and i was able to make a bootable XP installation out of it. The AA1 recognised it and proceeded to install windows, I got as far as loaded drivers but when it got to "Starting windows" i got BSOD :( and this happened everytime i tried. Think it may be down to me having Windows XP + SP3 instead of SP2.

Anyway to make sure my 16GB CF card was working i created a bootable USB Dos disk and was able to Fdisk and Format the CF with no problems :)

I have also tried booting from several different DVD drives using an USB interface out of an old external hard drive but with no luck, again this method just gives me BSOD when trying to install Windows although it did get a little further than the USB method.

I really don't want to because i've spent a small fortune already but unless someone can come to my rescue i'm going to have to buy an external DVD drive :(

Does anyone have a tried and tested solution for installing a Windows XP SP3 to AA1 from USB?

Thanks

pinchez, Aug 3, 2008
  15. Ariel

Martini-man

Did you put the filter on the ZIF cable?

Martini-man, Aug 3, 2008
  16. Ariel

pinchez

Update...

I have successfully Installed Windows XP SP3 to my AA1 with Transcend 16GB 300x CF. I've done a full install using a external USB DVDRW Drive (£39.99 from Maplins) and I recommend to anybody struggling with USB memory sticks to just give it up and use an external DVD/CDROM My installation was just as smooth as a normal laptop install and Windows update works perfectly from the off. I've also experienced no problems with drivers or stuttering, it really is just like a normal Wintel laptop now but small and beautiful!

:)

pinchez, Aug 4, 2008
  17. Ariel

Martini-man

Martini-man, Aug 4, 2008
  18. Ariel

adamski25

adamski25, Aug 4, 2008
  19. Ariel

Martini-man

Is the acer hdd version sata I?

That hdd almost doubles the price of the acer hdd version...

Is it worth?

Martini-man, Aug 4, 2008
  20. Ariel

adamski25

yeah it's a fair point, it is quite an expensive way round the problem, think i'll go the CF route after all....

adamski25, Aug 4, 2008
Ask a Question