Project - Internal USB Hub

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Kenshin, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Kenshin

Kenshin

I need to find an internal USB hub that is small enough that can be taken apart, and added to the Aspire One.

It has to be tiny. The smaller, the better. And I have to be able to get it from a reliable US Vendor.

It also has to be self-powered!

If anyone can provide me with help, I'd appreciate it. I'll post pictures on the placement of the hub as well, once I get it!

The One is a GREAT hackers' laptop, that's for damned sure.

Kenshin, Jul 31, 2008
  2. Kenshin

Darren198712

I am thinking of doing this too and taking it apart and doing a touch screen mod. I know you can use the webcam connections and hook it up to a USB hub and then hook it back up to the webcam and then you can do link up the touch screen and bluetooth and maybe GPS. would be a really good idea I think this one may work

can someone confirm that the webcam runs off USB off the motherboard ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-PORT-CIRCULAR-H ... otohosting

Darren198712, Aug 1, 2008
  3. Kenshin

ineedaname

I can confirm it uses USB.

If you read some eeepc forums they'll tell u which usb hubs 2 buy. I'm gonna do the hub mod I'm just waiting 4 it 2 come in the mail.

The one that u linked looks a bit big IMO. There are some that use a much smaller pcb.

The great thing about the A1 is that it has LOADS of space 4 mods unlike the other companies.

ineedaname, Aug 1, 2008
  4. Kenshin

Darren198712

I agree with the loads of space unlike the eee PC where the motherboard covers the whole laptop. do you have the link for the USB hubs from the eee pc website ?

Darren198712, Aug 1, 2008
  5. Kenshin

Darren198712

Darren198712, Aug 2, 2008
  6. Kenshin

Kenshin

Good God, man. I'll be using that as a way to get my Aspire upgraded too! I just received the box of the goodies I'll be using for my upgrades to the Aspire One. I'll be posting pictures of progress soon. I just need to get off my ass and get the pictures posted.

Kenshin, Aug 4, 2008
  7. Kenshin

joksanen

I have installed an USB hub inside my aspire one. The hub I used was A-link HUBU4. There is now two internal USB ports behind the 3G modem hatch (idea stolen from eeeuser.com :)). Here are some photos:

[​IMG]
    The hardest part was to unsolder USB connectors from USB hub without damaging the soldering pads on the PCB. When I was unsoldering the last connector, I accidentally removed one of the soldering pads, and when I tested the hub there was an "unknown device" in the device manager. I managed to fix that by soldering a small jumper wire to the hub's PCB (you can see it on the image below). I also needed to remove the crystal oscillator temporarily from the center of the PCB.

[​IMG]
    All wires soldered and added some glue from a hot glue gun.

[​IMG]
    My original plan was to route the internal USB webcam wires through the USB hub, but I found it too difficult to do (I think that four wires on the right of the connector belongs to the webcam, not sure though).

[​IMG]
    Second plan was to route the wires from external usb port so that the external port remains usable, but finally I gave up and soldered the wires directly to the USB port. Well, two external ports should be enough for everybody ;)

[​IMG]
    USB ports in place.

[​IMG]
    The hub fits nicely inside the aspire. I attached it with a very strong douple sided tape.

[​IMG]
    8GB USB flash drive and Trust USB bluetooth adapter in the 3G modem slot.

[​IMG]
    Windows XP recognized the hub and the attached devices.

joksanen, Aug 7, 2008
  8. Kenshin

rory

very nice mod, did you need a special soldering iron?
    I have one around somewhere, but not sure if its ok... would love a hub inside..
    Rory

rory, Aug 8, 2008
  9. Kenshin

Kenshin

Perfect! Great pictures - I'll be playing with a hub that I found as well. I have already removed some of the solder points, but I need to get the rest soldered properly. Will have this done this weekend hopefully.

Kenshin, Aug 8, 2008
  10. Kenshin

joksanen

I used just normal soldering iron with adjustable temperature range + desoldering braid and pump. Electric desolder station, like this, is the best tool for this job, but they are quite costly.

joksanen, Aug 8, 2008
  11. Kenshin

lotus49

I found this one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-High-Speed-4- ... .m14.l1318.

It is very small once it has been taken apart.

This is a close-up of the actual board inside the hub.

[attachment=1:2lmlxku4]IMG_6064.JPG[/attachment:2lmlxku4]

This is of the whole lot with all the wires.

[attachment=0:2lmlxku4]IMG_6065.JPG[/attachment:2lmlxku4]

As there are wires already soldered to the board, there is no need to desolder anything which should make it easier to install.

lotus49, Aug 8, 2008
  12. Kenshin

Kenshin

Good God, this is a perfect choice for me. I think I'll end up buying this one. ;-)

Kenshin, Aug 9, 2008
  13. Kenshin

karel

Anybody know any other shops that sell above posted USB Compressor HUB?
    Preferably not in the UK as the shipping costs are 3 times the purchase price; maybe someone knows an internet shop that ships from the US or Asia?

Thanks.
    Regards M.

karel, Aug 13, 2008
  14. Kenshin

procalli

this is an excellent and tidy way of adding the missing 3g by using a usb 3g dongle.

procalli, Aug 13, 2008
  15. Kenshin

garrontmo

I was able to find the "Compressor" hub on ebay in the US. You can find it by searching for "USB hub snake".

garrontmo, Aug 14, 2008
  16. Kenshin

ronmexico

How good of a signal is it gonna get inside the One? I doubt it would work to well at all

ronmexico, Aug 15, 2008
  17. Kenshin

Bossieman

If I want to be able to use the external USB ports and still have a hub inside - Is there any guide for this?
    Could it work to use one of the external USB for the hub, then using one from the hub and connect it to the same external you took for the hub?

Bossieman, Aug 15, 2008
  18. Kenshin

Sid

The guide you need is this one.

Yes read this thread from the top.

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  19. Kenshin

Demiurge

Just throwing out an idea here; is it possible to hijack the usb-connections found on the mini PCIe connector? As I assume the wireless goes over the PCIe-bus, wouldn't that leave us one internal "usb-port" already?

I would like to keep all three usb-ports, and to me it seems as you render one port unusable if I solder the wires directly to one of the external ports...

edit: Seems as someone at eeeuser.com already figured this out?

Demiurge, Aug 16, 2008
  20. Kenshin

Frojd

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1280&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Frojd, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question