Project - GPS Modification

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Kenshin, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Kenshin

Kenshin

Does anyone know of a tiny GPS module that I could buy that would fit inside one of these things? I need one that's powerful enough to pick up a signal from a moving vehicle, or one that can have an antenna extended inside the display area of the One.

I'm very interested in setting something up so I can get this laptop working as a true mobile device. Any information anyone has would be perfect.

The one caveat is it has to work with Linux!

Kenshin, Jul 31, 2008
  2. Kenshin

Kenshin

Other caveat is I need to be able to buy it from a US Distributor. Preferrably, someone reliable!!

Kenshin, Jul 31, 2008
  3. Kenshin

sackhead

sackhead, Jul 31, 2008
  4. Kenshin

lotus49

You best bet is having a look over on eeeuser.com. Lots of people have done this successfully on their eees and the only material difference between the machines in this respect is the shape of the internal space.

There is plenty of space inside the One so there will be a wide choice of receivers to choose from.

lotus49, Jul 31, 2008
  5. Kenshin

glibdud

One thing that makes it a little more interesting is finding a place where it won't be shielded by too much metal. In the 7" EeePC, there was lots of space beside the LCD... not so much on the A1.

glibdud, Aug 1, 2008
  6. Kenshin

Kenshin

I endd up buying the Pharos GPS Receiver PB010, which looked small enough. It turns out it has a dongle and an attached GPS receiver. This may not work for me, I'll have to see if I can fit it inside the unit.

Kenshin, Aug 1, 2008
  7. Kenshin

rvbcrs

rvbcrs, Aug 1, 2008
  8. Kenshin

ineedaname

I have a holux 213 pictured here. http://cgi.ebay.com/Holux-213-SIRF-III- ... .m14.l1318

Its a pretty good size 4 putting into an A1 but personally I'm not so avid about the idea. The reason being is that the reception off the wire is way better than if i embedded it into the A1. Many times when I'm driving around I have 2 put the antenna near the window 2 get reception. Imagine trying 2 hold ur A1 @ the window 2 try 2 get it 2 work. Unless ur walking around with it then I don't think its a good idea. The car blocks most of the signals.

But on another note I think ur better off buying the Microsoft Streets and Trips with reciever. Its only about $50 comes with receiver and software and also has a small footprint. The receiver alone costs that much normally and there's no crack for MS&T 2008 so u might as well buy it legit if u plan on using it.

ineedaname, Aug 1, 2008
  9. Kenshin

Kenshin

Well, I managed to install the GPS Receiver (Pharos) on my Linux box. I used to use a GPS receiver that had a dongle, and it BARELY picked up the GPS position when outside. My laptop is currently inside my condo, sitting on my bed, and it's got a lock on the satellites. This thing is pretty strong as far as its antenna is concerned. I'm going to try and put it into my laptop, but concerns are all the shielding. I think that may not make the receiver work well, but I'll check.

Kenshin, Aug 2, 2008
  10. Kenshin

chris333j

Hi I would like to have a GPS with my Aspire One.
    I've buy a Royaltek RGM 3800 with USB. That's work on windows XP but nor reconized in my Aspire One Linux.
    So I search the chipset pl2303 (usb to serial) for my gps (usb link). My aspire One Linus have number 2.6.23.9lw.
    Thx a lot for any answer...

chris333j, Aug 4, 2008
  11. Kenshin

Kenshin

Linux has native support for the PL2303 chipset. I'm surprised it's not working on the build of Linux that you're using. You may want to see if you can get the source so you can re-compile with the correct drivers, but considering it's a Linux distribution specific to the UMPC, it's harder to say which distribution of source they're using - or if it's available due to commercial support.

That being said, you'll need to use "gpsd" to get the GPS coordinates via "/dev/ttyUSB0" (which will only exist if the driver finds the USB-to-Serial device.) Once you use gpsd, you can then run "gpspipe -r" to get the data in raw form back from GPSD.

Kenshin, Aug 4, 2008
  12. Kenshin

chris333j

thx for your answer but how making "/dev/ttyUSB0" ?
    I found "gpsd" : http://gpsd.berlios.de/ but il's a soft and not a driver ?
    Sorry but I've just begginning in linux :roll:
    thx a lot Chris

chris333j, Aug 8, 2008
  13. Kenshin

chris333j

nobody habe already compiled the pl2303 plz ?
    I really nead it and don't know how to do...
    tks a lot for any answer... Chris

chris333j, Aug 19, 2008
  14. Kenshin

zk2008

I installed xp on my A1 and I'm considering the GPS mod... Has anyone done it yet? Is the signal strong enough for it to be effective in a driving scenario?

Z

zk2008, Aug 20, 2008
  15. Kenshin

olavxxx

You could buy something like this:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12350

With an internal + external antenna.
    Then y ou could just plug in the external antenna while driving the car :)

olavxxx, Aug 20, 2008
  16. Kenshin

zk2008

Thanks for the suggestion.... That's actually something that would work really well for my needs, I think.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by having an internal antenna as well, though. I guess you mean that I'd need a different GPS receiver if I wanted GPS outside of my car... but that's not a really big concern for me.
    If I bought the product in the link, I just hardwire it into my car and then use the bluetooth signal and a little bluetooth usb to make it work for the A1. I wonder what software I'd have to use in order to get it to work...

Thanks again!

Z

zk2008, Aug 20, 2008
  17. Kenshin

zk2008

Did anybody actually do the internal GPS mod? If so-- how's is the signal while in a car?

Z

zk2008, Aug 23, 2008
  18. Kenshin

AmigaNG

Can any one recommend the above gps device work with the default Linux Linus on the AA1 and what is the best software to run with it, linux newbie dont want it inside my AA1 just would like gps feature, for car use.

AmigaNG, Aug 26, 2008
  19. Kenshin

adamsaulnier_inactive

I would like to add GPS as well, are there any good GPS units out there that are SMALL and plug into the laptop, preferably like a USB stick or something like that.. I am using windows XP.

I should add that I do not want an antenna with a cable, since I will be carrying the laptop around with the gps unit plugged in.. I do not want to carry a large cable with an antenna as well.

adamsaulnier_inactive, Sep 4, 2008
  20. Kenshin

adamsaulnier_inactive

adamsaulnier_inactive, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question