Problems with Web Cam and Card Reader drivers

Discussion in 'Windows' started by bolero, Feb 28, 2009.

1. bolero

bolero

It seems I'm not able to get the Web Cam or the Card reader to work. AA1 150 ZG5.

Card Reader:
    I didn't try SD card as I don't have one here at the moment. I tried the xd card from my Olympus cam (xd cards should work in the right slot) and all I get is three "Base System Device" entries with the yellow exclamation mark and an SD Host Controller entry without the mark. That's it.
    I installed the CardRdr_Jmicron_v.1.00.16.01.zip driver. Do I need to install in some compat mode or so? (I don't remember if I did.) How can I check that the driver is installed at all at least to some degree? (I don't find a trace anywhere.)

Acer Crystal Eye webcam:
    I tried three packages:
    CCD_LiteOn_AP.zip
    CCD_LiteOn_DRV_v5.8.33.005_WHQL.zip
    These are for the D150, but it seems people used the D150 drivers just fine. The "AP" installs for me, but when I launch the link to the camera that it places on the desktop it says there is no camera. What is that AP thing, anyway, some software, so that I can use the cam without a messenger? The WHQL DRV package does not install at all, it immediately says "no cam, please plug one in".

CCD_LiteOn_v.5.8.33.1.zip
    This is the original A150 Acer netbook driver for XP.
    Same symptoms as with the DRV package above. Should I install it in XP compat mode?

What am I doing wrong?

bolero, Feb 28, 2009
  2. bolero

moondevil

For the Jmicron drivers, try pointing the Update Driver wizard to the directory where you unzipped the drivers for each of the devices. As far as the webcam goes, is it definitely a Liteon?

moondevil, Feb 28, 2009
  3. bolero

bolero

Thanks for the tip about the update drivers thing. I'll try it later. Actually, these devices only appear when I plug a card in. That's why I thought they had gone when installing the drivers.
    As for the webcam: I don't know what manufacture it is. I just read that the A150 has the one from LiteOn and the A110 the one from Suyin. As I understand they have different megapixels, so it makes sense that the models differ by manufacture. Ok, but why would they then put both manufactures in the download directory. Hm. I think they just put everything in both directories, they are identical. Ok, I'll try the Suyin one.

bolero, Feb 28, 2009
  4. bolero

bolero

Hi, installing the JMicron drivers worked now, thanks!
    Obviously, the normal procedure is:
    - install the JMicron drivers
    - one SD Host adapter will appear
    - insert a card (probably a non-SD card is needed)
    - three Base System Devices pop up in device manager
    - "update drivers" for each of them
    - go the "let Windows automatically choose" route
    - Windows 7 finds and installs the correct driver from the already installed JMicron suite
    - device manager will now have four host controlelrs for MS, SD/MMC, SD, xD in the "memory technology driver" node

Great, now I don't need to take the card hub with me on vacation.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with the Web Cam. The Suyin drivers installed, but that's it. I don't see if it works now or not. What's the easiest way to test that with built-in tools? I haven't installed a messenger application yet or a video software. I may never use that cam, so I don't want to install some full-blown video-capturing suite, but for the case I do, I would like to know it's working. Normally, I would expect that there's at least a small applet coming with the drivers that allows me to view the life stream that the camera produces at the moment and to take some still pictures from it or save to a simple mpeg format. Is there none with either the LiteOn or Suyin packages?

bolero, Mar 1, 2009
  5. bolero

moondevil

Hmm, sorry don't know. Does the Windows imaging application bring it up (I know it used to work with some webcams, picked them up as a "scanner"). I always have skype and messenger installed, so I use those. Incidentally, I have an A150 linux version (originally), and I am using the CCD_LiteOn_DRV_v5.8.33.005_WHQL.zip with no problem.

moondevil, Mar 1, 2009
  6. bolero

bolero

Hm, there's no Windows Imaging available, AFAICS. I know that program from XP or so. Launching a picture brigns up the Photo Viewer, but it doesn't have an option to load anything else. I tried launching a Twain source in Irfanview, but that box is empty. I'll check with the latest version of Irfanview as this one isn't able to change the associations, Windows somehow blocks that and they still open in Photo Viewer by default. I installed now Trillian as a messenger, but I think it doesn't have video chat by default, at least I can't find such an option. And I don't see a video option on my other machines either.
    I also have a 150L, but the "second" variant, e.g. it's labeled ZG5 on the back and has 160GB/1GB. Do you have the same? I think it's just the same as A150X, just with Linpus.

bolero, Mar 1, 2009
  7. bolero

moondevil

Mine is ZG5 also, an AOA 150 - Aw. Weird that it came with linux on it :s .

Only thing I can recommend is a quick shareware webcam download if you don't want to do Skype 4 beta or Windows Live Messenger. Anyone else any ideas?

moondevil, Mar 1, 2009
  8. bolero

bolero

I think they just sell the 9" models off and with Linux it was *much* cheaper. :)

bolero, Mar 1, 2009
Ask a Question