Problems installing new fedore (LiveUSB)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by A_I, Jun 10, 2009.

1. A_I

A_I

Hi everybody,

Yesterday, Fedora 11 was finally released. So I wanted to install it.

I made LiveUSB from my XP running desktop. It starts to boot, I get the first fedora screen (blue background with small logo in the center), and then....

I got black screen with command line, saying "Cannot find /dev/root"

I tried to google but I didn't realy find any clear solution (or at least understanable for my level of linux-knowledge).

Do you know what is the solution?

Thanks.

P.S Know I have Mandriva, formatted with ext2, with 1GB of swap (out of 8 gb ssd), and 1.5 GB of ram.

A_I, Jun 10, 2009
  2. A_I

arexxk

Its sounds like the linux kernel is either having an issue mounting your Hard drive (or usb drive) or creating a mounting point. It's possible that the image was compiled incorrectly. Try making a bootable usb image with unetbootin, it's automated and easy. If that does not work, there are a million reasons for the error. But I think the main reasons would be to reformat the Hard drive (usb drive) and use unetbootin, or use a cd, or simply the new distro is incompatible with the hardware. :|

arexxk, Jun 10, 2009
  3. A_I

eti

hi
    i had a similar failure, maybe the same, i doens't know exactly. I tried with unetbootin under linux and it did not work. know i tried under windows vista, with a fresh downloaded unetbootin, but same image and it works. I do not know why, but know it works. maybe your cd image is corrupted or so.
    i just want to say, it boots, more i cannot say until now.

eti, Jun 10, 2009
  4. A_I

A_I

OK I'll try unetbootin now. let's see if it helps.

A_I, Jun 10, 2009
  5. A_I

A_I

Ok, it seemed that my USB created with liveusb-creator was malfunctioning. Unebootin solved it.

Thank you for help ;)

A_I, Jun 10, 2009
  6. A_I

jknights

They seem to have made a right royal mess of this release.

Instead of making a boot.iso file it is packaged in the Live_DVD so you need to get a 3.4GB download to get the tiny iso that allows you to boot from a CD or USB drive.

I have downloaded the Fedora 11 686 Live iso and am building that to a USB stick using the Fedora LiveUSB Creator utility.
    It is part way through the build so I will see in a while how that fares.

Not an impressive release. Let's hope that the installed software is better than the installation process.
    The Anaconda loadaer is also meant to remove any need to edit the GRUB menulist. I will wait and see what happens if/when it works off the USB build before I pass furtehr judgement.

jknights, Jun 11, 2009
  7. A_I

jknights

Just got the following message from the USB build.
    "Downloading Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso...
    Download complete!
    Verifying filesystem...
    Verifying SHA256 checksum of LiveCD image...
    Extracting live image to USB device...
    There was a problem executing the following command: `tools\7z.exe x "Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso" -x![BOOT] -y -oK:`
    A more detailed error log has been written to 'liveusb-creator.log'
    LiveUSB creation failed!
    There was a problem executing the following command: `tools\7z.exe x "Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso" -x![BOOT] -y -oK:`
    A more detailed error log has been written to 'liveusb-creator.log'"

Seems from the detailed error log that it is running out of space on USB stick.
    I'll need to try with a 4GB USB rather than a 1GB.
    I have a verified ISO so I will use that and see if the same occurs.

How very disappointing.
    Fedora10 will need to stay as my favourite distro for a while yet.

jknights, Jun 11, 2009
  8. A_I

acering

Forgive me in advance if I am misunderstanding your post but there are 2 download options on the Fedoraproject.org site.
    The first is 690MB, ISO format, 1 CD-ROM disc image for Intel-compatible PCs (32-bit)
    The second is the image for upgrading from an older version 3.5GB, ISO format, 1 DVD disc image for Intel-compatible PCs (32-bit).
    I downloaded the first and used UNetbootin to create usb and booted my AO 110
    Hope this helps

acering, Jun 11, 2009
  9. A_I

jknights

OK.
    USB install works if you use.
    Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso
    4GB USB stick

Use 512MB of persistent memory.

Live Install works fine.

Just need to check the Install to HardDisk

jknights, Jun 11, 2009
  10. A_I

jknights

Interesting.
    I usually use UNetbootin but I used the Fedora LiveUSB Creator for my test as I needed to do some installs on PCs as well. Thought I would use the pukka Fed stuff.

Apparently....The DVD version is a full install that works as a live and a new or upgrade install for Intel cpu machines (PC and AAO). The CD version, as I understand it, is a LiveCD version that is not meant to be used for new installs. I may have misread the Installation notes.
    I havent actually tried it on my precious AAO as it is running Fed10 beautifully. I was testing on an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard with 2GB RAM and 160GB IDE disk and Intel 5400 C2D cpu.
    When I get my second AAO I'll be upping the current Fed10 machine to Fed11.

jknights, Jun 13, 2009
  11. A_I

A_I

Well I actually installed liveCD version and it works well. Just some packages were missing for couple of apps, but it is not problem when u have braodband connection.

A_I, Jun 13, 2009
  12. A_I

Scottc

Hello,

I too, downloaded the Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso file (32 bit), burned to CD-ROM, and it worked as a live disk in my HP Vista machine.

I then plugged in a USB DVD to my AAO and tried to install it and it got an error on install, would not let me continue, so I used Unerbootin and made a live 4GB Sandisk boot stick which worked like a champ Live, but, once again would not let me install to the Acer Aspire One, interesting thing is that I already have Fedora 11 installed and running just fine on the AAO for the last month, it's just that I wanted the newest release.

Another interesting thing is that when trying to install from the Flashdrive it trashed the BIOS, which was not a problem in my case because I have a 1GB SanDisk flashdrive with the BIOS 3309 on it because my BIOS went south about 2 months ago. I just re-flashed the BIOS again and am back in business.

I have 4 USB flashdrives, 2 are 4GB Sandisks and 2 are 8 GB Kingston Travelers, 1 4GB has Fedora 11 Live from 2 months ago and 1 8GB has the Fedora 11 backup on it, the other 8 GB has Linpus Linux Lite-XFCE backup on it and all work fine so I know it is not the flashdrives.

I may not be the best software installer but I can Reflash the BIOS with the best of them.

I am puzzled though.

Scottc, Jun 14, 2009
  13. A_I

sjs50613

Scottc's problem sounds related to mine. I tried to install the F11 Live CD XFCE spin using unetbootin on a usb stick. The error I get immediately at startup is:

/ubnkern
    Invalid or corrupt kernel image.
    boot:

Using same process with the Live CD Gnome spin on the USB stick loads fine.

Has anyone had a successful USB install using the Live CD XFCE spin? What was the process you used in loading the USB stick?

Thanks
    Steve

sjs50613, Jun 14, 2009
  14. A_I

alyy

sjs50613 » I used liveusb-creator to make F11-live-xfce usb but unfortunately not the linux version, because v3.6.5 is in the repos but the version to support F11 stable release seems to be the latest one : v3.6.7.

I tried liveusb-creator and livecd-tools but there was no luck, the xfce-live usb was not working =(

So what i did is : downloaded v3.6.7 windows executable, and created the live usb off of it (ashamed to use windose =( ) , it worked like a charm :)

alyy, Jun 15, 2009
  15. A_I

RockDoctor

I was able to create a live USB stick with the Fedora 11 XFCE spin using livecd-iso-to-disk from my F11 GNOME installation (livecd-tools-024-1.fc11.i586.rpm). Installation went smoothly once I deleted my persistent storage; not sure why that should have been necessary.

RockDoctor, Jun 15, 2009
  16. A_I

sjs50613

I was finally successful after downloading the XFCE Live CD .iso again, then doing a liveusb-creator install in F10 using the liveusb-creator graphical interface. Liveusb-creator did not produce a good result using the windows version, even though I had installed the latest version. The liveusb-creator command line interface, livecd-tools, and unetbootin (both XP and Linux versions) did not give a viable bootable stick either.
    I don't understand the differences, but I have a working and bootable USB XFCE Live stick now. BTW, a 1GB stick worked for me.
    On a somewhat related topic, a good writeup on installing F11 on the AAO can be found at http://jorge.fbarr.net/2009/06/11/fedora-11-on-the-acer-aspire-one/.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.
    Steve

sjs50613, Jun 17, 2009
  17. A_I

Scottc

Hello all,

Well I (finally) did a successful install of Fed 11 Gnome, it was my fault because I kept using the default "replace existing Linux system" instead of "use entire disk".

I installed following the instructions on "Jorge Elysium" site, great stuff for the Aspire One, removed the swap partition (saves 2 GB memory) , disbled Selinux, disabled journaling (Ihave a 16GB SSD) and all is well.

I also tried a few things to speed up Firefox to no avail, it's still a dog, still looking for the fix.

Also, I clicked on my (bottom) task bar to hide it, and it shrunk to half size (in length) and has now taken up residence behind my toolbar at the top of the screen.

How about that

Scottc, Jun 21, 2009
  18. A_I

jknights

My second AAO installed with Fedora 11 no problem.
    It had Windows XP Home on it before and I just cleaned the disk off in the install process (use entire disk choice).
    Everything seems to work fine wireless, sound, trackerpad, etc.

I found the problem with the PC was that the Asus P5B motherboard needed a BIOS upgrade. All fixed now and no signs of the dreaded GRUB prompt.

jknights, Jun 23, 2009
  19. A_I

jknights

OK today I tested all the AAO functions that I could and can confirm that all the stuff works under Fed11.
    Video, Wifi, LAN, Touchpad, Webcam, Sound, card reader, USB.......
    Power management, Shutdown, Updates, etc.
    Have I missed any thing.

jknights, Jun 23, 2009
  20. A_I

RockDoctor

Wifi LED, cards other than SD in the right card reader, and probably a few others :D I haven't noticed any problems with the ext4 filesystem other than it not being readable by older kernels.

RockDoctor, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question