problem with testdisk, gparted, and partitions

Discussion in 'Storage' started by davexz, Oct 24, 2008.

1. davexz

davexz

I was attempting to create a restore USB of the Linpus AAO on a Windows system, when I chose the Windows's disk by error. Now, the HDD is partitioned for Linpus with EXT2. Figuring that only the partition table and the first 3GB of the HDD had been overwritten, I searched and found testdisk and gparted.

Restoring the partition table using testdisk worked. fdisk -l listed the newly NTSF partitioned drive. However, gparted shows the HDD as unallocated. XP installtion could not see the HDD. I have been able to use photorec to backup the data files from the HDD.

Did I miss some important step? Thanks for your help.

davexz, Oct 24, 2008
  2. davexz

davexz

I spent 24 hours working with fdisk, partition magic, testdisk, and gparted and still the XP installation could not see the HDD. Some Googling later, at 5am, found out that the problem lies with XP setup, which can't handle SATA in AHCI mode. Decided to press F2 to check setup and, sure enough, there was a switch to use IDE mode instead. Now, XP setup recoginzes the HDD.

davexz, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question