problem with eRecovery restore on aod255e

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ihasataco, May 8, 2012.

1. ihasataco

ihasataco

new to the forums. hey! anyways...
    when i click to use the restore function on the erecovery manager to reinstall windows 7 starter on this netbook everything seems to work fine, asks if i am sure i want to run, then asks to restart the computer, OK. it restarts and loads up fine but sends me right back to my login screen.. i have used it once before and everything went okay but this time it seems during the restart, forgets that it even ran it in the first place.

Acer Aspire One AOD255E 1gig ram, 1.6 intel atom.. any help on how to fix this or to help me bypass the recovery management entirely to reinstall would be awesome.

probably already know but this netbook has no cd drive...

im pulling my hair out with this one! please HELP me!

ihasataco, May 8, 2012
  2. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

Last edited: May 9, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 9, 2012
  3. ihasataco

ihasataco

i didn't even know about that, awesome thank you :)

ihasataco, May 9, 2012
  4. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

You're more than welcome :)

If you think about it, there would need to be a way to access eRecovery if Windows was unbootable :)

Good luck.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 9, 2012
  5. ihasataco

ihasataco

i tried it but all i got was a black screen with a flashing _ ?????????

ihasataco, May 10, 2012
  6. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

OK, D2D (disk-to-disk) Recovery may not be enabled in your BIOS

Here's the relevant section from the user guide

So turn on your Aspire One, and when you see the Acer logo, hit F2 to enter the BIOS.

Once in the BIOS, use the right arrow key to select the "Main" page (at the top)

Use the down arrow to select D2D Recovery, and change it to "Enabled"

Exit the BIOS saving the changes

When the system restarts, and you see the Acer logo again, hit Alt+F10 (at the same time) to start eRecovery.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 10, 2012
  7. ihasataco

ihasataco

the d2d was already enabled :confused: blahhh could it be anything else?

ihasataco, May 11, 2012
  8. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

Either your PQSERVICE (hidden recovery) partition is screwed, or you're not doing it right.

Turn on the PC .. as soon as you see the Acer logo screen, hold the Alt key, and keep pressing the F10 key

It can be quite fiddly sometimes to get the timing correct.

PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  9. ihasataco

ihasataco

say my pqservice is screwed what does that entail on fixing it?

ihasataco, May 11, 2012
  10. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

Getting a recovery CD from Acer .. or having them re-image the drive .. or getting hold of a Win7 Disk and license .. or installing Linux.

Those are the "proper" options, but leave it with me and I'll see if I can find another way to access/boot the PQSERVICE partition.

It would however be nice to know if the PQSERVICE partition actually exists .. do you know how to create a Linux LiveUSB stick ?

PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  11. ihasataco

ihasataco

that i do not.. and i dont have a usb stick at the moment :(

ihasataco, May 11, 2012
  12. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

Let me get back to you tomorrow .. I've a couple of ideas I want to research.

Did this PC come with the current OS installed .. or has someone installed it later .. this is important, as they may have overwritten the PQSERVICE partition ?

Last edited: May 11, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  13. ihasataco

ihasataco

for sure! thank you :)

ihasataco, May 11, 2012
  14. ihasataco

ihasataco

it came with the OS on it, but we had to run the erecovery once before

ihasataco, May 11, 2012
  15. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

Seems it's possible (if the PQSERVICE partition still exists) to create a linux LiveUSB, then use Gparted to change the boot flag to the PQSERVICE partition, then just reboot, and eRecovery will start.

But I want to research this further before telling you how .. and look for other solutions.

[EDIT]

That's fine .. eRecovery *shouldn't* have damaged the PQSERVICE partition, so hopefully it's still there .. just not bootable for some reason :)

I'll get back to you tomorrow ;)

PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  16. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

Hmm .. Without knowing the PQSERVICE partition is present and undamaged, anything I tell you to do from this point would risk leaving you with an unbootable PC.

I can only point out what I've already mentioned.

a) A Linux LiveUSB would be handy to check the PQSERVICE partition actually exists.

b) There is a "chance" (but I cannot confirm this works) that using gparted from the Linux LiveUSB to move the boot flag from the C:/ partition to the PQSERVICE partition .. then rebooting .. may cause the pqservice (eRecovery) to start.

You may also want to take a look at this page:
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/the-impo...-pqservice-partition-and-mbr-on-a-new-laptop/
    (including the comments)

But I cannot advise further unless you FULLY understand the risks of breaking the Windows 7 installation that is currently there.

PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  17. ihasataco

ihasataco

hummm.. do you think their is any way to make a recovery disk using daemon and mount it as a disc image, then running the recovery threw that?

ihasataco, May 11, 2012
  18. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

AFAIK, there is no way to manualy make a recovery disk from the PQSERVICE partition.

Is there not an option in eRecovery (in Windows) to create a "Recovery" DVD(s) ?

Be aware .. the option to create recovery disks is usually a 1 time only affair.

[EDIT]

If you have an external USB HDD, you could use something like Clonezilla to create an image of your HDD in its current state .. so if anything you tried made things worse .. you could always get back to where you are now .. that would give you the freedom to experiment.

May I ask why you need to use eRecovery in the first place, if Win7 is working ?

PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  19. ihasataco

PCNetSpec

First see my response above.

OK, remember what I said about using gparted from a Linux LiveUSB to move the boot flag (which is the same as setting a partition as "active") .. well see the third posting of this topic:
    http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/279477-acer-recovery-disc.html
    where someone suggests using this free application (bootable CD)
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    to set the PQSERVICE partition as "active", then reboot .. which should start the eRecovery wizard.
    You then may have to use it again to make the C:/ partition "active" after the restore.

But I must point out .. YOU TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK .. personally I'd get an external USB HDD and use Clonezilla to create an image of your internal HDD, and save it on the external HDD, just in case.

But unless you know that the PQSERVICE partition actually exists, this may all be academic.

[EDIT]

It *may* be that a SuperGrub 2 disk may be able to find and boot the PQSERVICE recovery partition .. but I can find no info on this, so don't know one way or the other .. and it would still be "at your own risk"
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

There are any number of things you could "try" (as long as the recovery partition still exists) .. but if I were you I'd be happier with an image of the HDD "as it is now" before trying them ;)

PCNetSpec, May 11, 2012
  20. ihasataco

ihasataco

it was just time to do a clean, just running slowly and what not. hahah well i figured it out.. i just used f8 at post, it had an option called "repair windows" and after it loaded that the menu had 7 or 8 options, memory dig, erecovery, restore ect... lol thanks for your help man.. super appreciated can i +rep you or something?

ihasataco, May 12, 2012
Ask a Question