problem uninstalling Microsoft Works

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by aidan.cage, Dec 26, 2008.

1. aidan.cage

aidan.cage

So, I am a new owner and I installed software I am comfortable with, and am trying to uninstall software I don't want to use. I uninstalled Microsoft 2007 Student and Home through CCleaner, but now I am trying to uninstall Microsoft Works and I am being told that the file WORKS8.msi is missing or absent from the specified folder (which I don't have in front of me, but remember it was shown as not being in an acer/cd2 type folder). I am unable to uninstall this large program group because of this, and I'm worried I will have to restore the factory settings--undoing a few days of attentive work--just to try to uninstall this program. I did a brief search, but didn't find a topic like this, so I don't know if others have run into this problem. I'm on dialup here right now, and I don't have the patience to go through each search result. If there is anyone with a similar experience who has overcome it or not, please respond, and if you have the knowledge to fix this please share! I am thinking it had something to do with uninstalling the 2007 trial software (a ridiculous inclusion in a device that has a 600 pixel screen, as the ribbon takes up a third of the work space!). Pleas help. I had these stupid 250Mb microsoft suites that suck.
    THANKS!

aidan.cage, Dec 26, 2008
  2. aidan.cage

maxpower2003

(1) You admittedly being too lazy to search the forum (even on 20th century dial up) is no excuse.

(2) I'm lazy too so who am I to judge? lol

(3) I uninstalled Works via the Control Panel-> Add\Remove Programs and it uninstalled fine.

(4) You can right click on that stupidly huge ribbon and select "minimize ribbon". Helps greatly!

maxpower2003, Dec 26, 2008
  3. aidan.cage

gregjoyal

I had the same problem... Here's what I did:

1. Ensure the uninstaller isn't running.
    2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Installer by typing it into the address bar in Explorer.
    3. Hover over all the MSI files until you find the WORKS 8 MSI file (mine was named "119ce.msi" and was 4431kb and dated 15/8/2008).
    4. Rename it to WORKS8.MSI (be careful if you have extensions turned off .. the default in XP .. if you do, only rename it to WORKS8). Also, if the uninstaller is running, you won't be able to rename the file.
    5. Once it has been renamed, right click it and select Uninstall from the menu (or you can go back to the control panel and Add/Remove Programs).
    6. When you get the error message, type in C:\Windows\Installer in the location text box and continue.
    7. Sit back and wait for it to uninstall... Yay!

I found some help on another forum for this problem, but I can't remember where it was. Anyways, the above worked for me about 10 minutes ago.

gregjoyal, Dec 27, 2008
  4. aidan.cage

aidan.cage

That explanation has all the detail of a working fix to my problem, unfortunately I made a drastic decision before you posted it and just restored the entire OS to factory default. I'm not sure what I did to cause it, but I think it might have been my using revouninstaller absentmindedly and just deleting all without reading. In any case, I hadn't really moved too far from the original setup any way, and setting it up is the fun part, right? ;)
    It uninstalled fine when I ran the uninstaller through Add/Remove Programs after the fresh restore.
    Thanks again for the detailed reply, and I have no doubt it will help someone as boggled as me in the future.
    I'll be around

aidan.cage, Dec 27, 2008
  5. aidan.cage

Rich in ILM

Bingo!

It worked great!

Thanks!

Rich in ILM, Dec 27, 2008
  6. aidan.cage

ccuina

Thanks gregjoyal for sharing. Tried to uninstall yesterday but got the "source not located" error message. Now followed procedure and in just 10 mins our A1s are free from MSFT Works.

Great tip!

ccuina, Dec 28, 2008
  7. aidan.cage

stageman1

Thanks! I was having the same issue and your advice helped me solve the problem.

stageman1, Jan 25, 2009
Ask a Question