Problem saving new backdrops.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Jaycb, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Jaycb

Jaycb

Hi. Having looked at the alternate backdrops such as "flowers" and the various rat ones, I've downloaded a couple of alternate backdrop images and want to try them out. I've already discovered from reading other posts that these images must be saved in the usr/xcfe/backdrops area along with the supplied ones. However, when I try to save my images there it won't let me. I'm sure there's an obvious answer.... can anyone help please?
    Thanks.
    J.

Jaycb, Sep 24, 2008
  2. Jaycb

kapinouwi

must be saved in /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/

you need to be root!

paste your images in "Pictures" file

in a terminal

su
    password
    cd /home/user/Pictures/
    cp yourimage.png (or jpg) /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/

close terminal

and go to xfce setting

kapinouwi, Sep 24, 2008
  3. Jaycb

Jaycb

Many thanks Kapinouwi - I now have a beautiful carbon-fibre effect backdrop :))

Cheers!

Jaycb, Sep 25, 2008
  4. Jaycb

smokesandroadbeers

nice one buddy

smokesandroadbeers, Sep 26, 2008
  5. Jaycb

Jack Vermicelli

I have a backdrop applied, but have it located in Pictures only because for some reason the system sees fit to not allow me to drag and drop.

This method seemed like it should do the trick, but apparently it doesn't. Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    http://i37.tinypic.com/23m3mnd.png

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 27, 2008
  6. Jaycb

kapinouwi

maybe its not a 0(zero) but the letter "O" more simple try to rename your picture with an other name "image1.jpg" and retry the tip

kapinouwi, Sep 27, 2008
  7. Jaycb

FireSoul

simpler way to copy and paste root files is

Alt + F2

and type

sudo thunar

then you will start the file manager as a root
    navigate to the folder mentioned before then paste the pictures it should work easier and simpler than terminal commands

FireSoul, Sep 27, 2008
  8. Jaycb

Jack Vermicelli

Thanks. sudo thunar worked. I wonder why the other method didn't like the filename.

Not exactly on topic, is there an easyish way to allow desktop icons to maintain user-specified positions between sessions, rather than revert to the default positioning and ordering?

Jack Vermicelli, Sep 27, 2008
  9. Jaycb

SirWilliam

just for the console buddies:

you really have to be in the directory the picture is in.

apperently you are using the storage expansion with a 8gb sd-card... this one is mounted as /mnt/home which is now the default location, where to save data ( it is not longer in /user/home )

You do not notice any difference in the datamanager, but in a terminal the difference is huge...

so before trying to copy things you should be sure you know they are there...you can make that by simply entering ls (for listing)
    if you know how your file is called then run
    Code:
    sudo find / -name <filename>
    greetings

SirWilliam, Jan 7, 2009
  10. Jaycb

Winfried

I could copy the file but not paste it into the backdrop folder:
    When I go to the Downloads folder, where I have my pictures from my other PC I can not go back to :usr/share..... in the file manager. When moving to Downloads in the manager headline appears My Disk:///Downloads. And the blue uparrow on the left side gets gray and does not work anymore as if I have lost the access permission to the level higher than "mnt/home", which is equal to My Disk:///. So I can not reach root (="/") in order to go then to usr/share/...../backdrops

When I simply close the terminal and open with sudo Thunar again and reach then the backdrop folder the copied file is not anymore there for pasting. ????
    Something wrong what I did???

Winfried

Winfried, Jan 19, 2009
  11. Jaycb

jono400

Sorry guys bit slow here :oops: okay have the pic I want to save for my backdrop, I have write clicked on the saved picture and pressed " copy " I then press ALT and F2 and I get a screen showing the following folders

1/ Desktop
    2/ documents
    3/ downloads
    4/ music
    5/ pictures
    6/videos

what folder do I paste the copied file into, and after I have pasted the file what next to enable the backdrop to show ??

jono400, Jan 19, 2009
  12. Jaycb

Winfried

After some fiddeling around I found an even simpler solution (at least for former windows users who normally do not use line commands).
    First and basic rule: your picture must have the size of 1200*600pixels.
    You store it where you like but best in "pictures" on the internal memory (My disk).
    You open from the XFCE menu through "settings" the "desktop settings"
    There you find the section "Image": at "file", tick the browse button,
    select your picture in the file manager that opened and click on "select picture". The window will close.
    On "desktop settings" Tick the "Show Image" and close the window. Done

I find this simpler since it avoids typing with the problem of typing errors.

At least it works with my AA1: 8GB internal; 16GB extension SD; linux; thunderbird; firefox, VCL

Good luck

Winfried

Winfried, Jan 19, 2009
  13. Jaycb

jono400

Okay thanks winfried appreciatte the information, can I ust ask one question hopefully without upsetting too many users ??!! how do I get into this xfce menu that you talk about ??

sure I will be able to folow it from there just total new to all this, please bear with me !!!

jono400, Jan 19, 2009
  14. Jaycb

Winfried

You right click on a free spot on the desktop then the menu appears.
    If you have not activated the right click see into the beginners section, please. There are a lot of useful posts concerning the xfce menu. The backdrops issue is only interesting when you get familiar with the xfce menu. That is at least my impression; I am a beginner like you since Mid December. I come from XP usage.

Winfried, Jan 19, 2009
  15. Jaycb

jono400

Perfect got there in the end thanks so much for having patience with me !!!
    just need to work out how to get the Linus desktop to show like xp style icons on my new background- please tell me this is easy enough ??!!!!

jono400, Jan 19, 2009
  16. Jaycb

jono400

Having just rebooted the pc now notice the background has reverted back the original blue aspire one :?: also cant work out why now that I have enabled the right click function I am not just able to set the wllpaper when I click on a wanted image, will allow me but as far as I can see it not actually doing it ??!!

jono400, Jan 19, 2009
  17. Jaycb

Winfried

I don't know either, since in my case it is perfectly working also after reboot. Maybe somebody else who is experienced in Linux should reply now.posting.php?mode=quote&f=31&p=64942#

Winfried

Winfried, Jan 19, 2009
  18. Jaycb

jono400

Strange ??!! does your right click save to background work okay or do you have to set up the background manually everytime you want to change ?? sems strange to have this ption if it does not work ?!!

at this rate I will probably being changing to XP before the end of the week !! one step forward - two steps back :lol:

jono400, Jan 19, 2009
  19. Jaycb

jono400

Okay last post for the night - honest !! having just checked my backdrops folder I notice the wanted image is not there, so okay have my wanted background how do I get it into the appropriatte folder ie / usr/share/xfce4/backdrops ??

understand what to do from there just need to know how to get it from " my pictures " into the above folder ??

jono400, Jan 20, 2009
  20. Jaycb

Winfried

In my method you don't need to move it to "/usr/..../backdrops"
    You open the xfce menu, pass through settings to desktop settings; in the image section of the window you use the browser(file manager ) button and select your picture in the "my picture" folder; its name appears then in the window behind "file:". You tick "show image" close the window and when you switch to the desktop the picture is there, provided it is a 1200*600 image . That is what works on my AA1 Linpus system

Winfried

Winfried, Jan 20, 2009
Ask a Question