Printing with an HP

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jolly, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jolly

jolly

Hi all,

Sorry because this has already been addressed, as I have already followed the advice of the other threads. Please keep in mind that I am a brand new Linux user. I have done some research, and have managed to make some minor changes to my One (no more military time!) but I need some SPELLED OUT instructions from anyone kind and patient enough to help me.

When I plug in my One it recognizes my printer, but nothing prints. I went and downloaded the Linux driver from the HP website, chose "automatic install" and had to pick which version of Linux I use. Linpus was not in the list. I chose Fedora. Then I had to choose a type of Fedora, I chose "no f***ing idea." Then it had a ton of errors, and now my printer icon is permanently available in my toolbar-- and it still won't print.

Also, I have not opened up the regular Linux, I am still in Linpus.

Did any of that make sense?

Please help me. I love this little dude, and am learning to love Linux too. :D

Thanks!
    Jolly

**Edited to add details concerning driver and printer type.

jolly, Sep 12, 2008
  2. jolly

N6546R

The quick way to do this is to install HP Linux Imaging and Printing from the Add/Remove Software menu.

Install:

hplip
    hpijs
    hplip-gui

The installation process might ask to also install CUPS, which is fine.

This will create an HP icon on the Start menu, which you can use to manage / add / delete printers. On my network it found and correclty configure my L7500, including setting it up as a fax.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Sep 12, 2008
  3. jolly

criskeune

I have a much more difficult question! .. How I can configure my HP Photosmart C3100 series, which is connected with a DLINK DI-524UP wireless router, so I can print my work through the wireless device? I have tried already to configure it, in the printer section (settings) , using similar instructions I had used to configure DI-524UP in my other "normal" laptop with Windows XP (which was pretty easy to do!). But it did not work with Linpus .....

Thanks

Cristina

criskeune, Sep 13, 2008
  4. jolly

dsdery

Actually, by installing the three packages that were mentioned previously in the post, you should be able to use HP's own setup to install the printer through your wireless router just fine.

When the hp setup utility asks you how the printer will be connected to the computer, simply choose the wireless option and it should work out from there.

dsdery, Sep 14, 2008
  5. jolly

jolly

Woo hoo! I now have a functioning printer with my most favorite computer! All hail the Linux gurus! :ugeek:

Thank you sooo much for your help!

For anyone else who has to do this, here is what I did:
    1. Open a terminal window
    2. Type : sudo yum install hplip hpijs hplip-gui
    3. I answered "Y" or 'yes' to all questions

--Linus connects to the interwebs and downloads your program/packages for you.

4. Restart your puter

Finished!

I then printed out a test page... and it worked! I really couldn't believe it. Thanks again. :D

~jolly

jolly, Sep 14, 2008
  6. jolly

criskeune

jolly,

You followed these steps, but is your Little Acer printing wirelessly? I cannot do this in mine. OMG!!! I have done it everything that you did, but I cannot print through my wireless router. But I can print through the USB. (it's not exactly what I really wanted .. I want TOTAL portability.... no wires, for god' sake!)

Cristina

criskeune, Sep 14, 2008
  7. jolly

jolly

Cristina,
    Sorry, I'm only printing through the USB. I haven't dreamt of trying to push that envelope! :lol:

I am sure some of the other gurus here can help you though?

Don't get to frustrated. If the little One did ALL the things her big brothers did-- she'd have just as many problems as they do. I guess we're trading one set of problems for another... but I am willing to put up with the One's issues for the convenience it offers.
    But I do agree, wireless printing does seem to fit in the "netbook" realm of portability... so it should work without as much work on your part.

Good luck!

~jolly

jolly, Sep 15, 2008
  8. jolly

jolly

Cristina,

Here is another discussion about printing sans wires with an HP:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2238

Hope this helps,

jolly

jolly, Sep 15, 2008
  9. jolly

cspbcn

I've been not that lucky. Yesterday I got and HP p1006. I plugged in and a window popped up with the printer. It seem quite simple but when I tried to print I keep sending jobs but nothing. Then I went to my favorite coffee and saw this thread (don't have internet yet at home) and I did "sudo yum install hplip hpijs hplip-gui"
    When I went back home I opened the program HP device manager but it didn't recognize the printer. It's funny the limpus recognized but the HP didn't. I did a "sudo hp-setup" but it didn't find yet any device. Then I dis a cups as the HP device manager suggested in a weird web interface and I could install the printer but still nothing prints.

Any suggestion?
    Thanks
    Carles

cspbcn, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question