Printing to a networked HP2600n

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AndyL, Sep 22, 2008.

1. AndyL

AndyL

Well I have searched the forums and not really come up with an answer, so I'll tell you what I did and maybe someone can work out where I'm going wrong :)

I have a HP Colour Laserjet 2600n on my home network. It works perfectly with my XP machine, and my EEEpc 900. However I can't get it to work with my son's Aspire One.

I went to the HP website http://hplip.sourceforge.net/, downloaded the script and ran it as per the instructions. After a lot of downloads, it was ready to try to connect. I tried an automatic scan to discover it, but no luck. However a manual scan using the correct IP address found it. I eventually ended up with a connection URL that looked like this hp:/net/HP2600n?ip=x.x.x.x:9100. However printing didn't work - nothing on the printer. I Now I knew from my experience with the EEEpc that the out of the box stuff for the 2600n might not work, so I went to here: http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/ and followed the instructions. Everything completed correctly, but still no printing. I went back and selected the PPD file that was downloaded with the http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/ package, but still no printing!

Now I know you can print from Linux to the HP2600n, because my EEEpc will. However it uses a different connection URL - socket:/ - which does not work on the Aspire One.

I'm no Linux expert - I just follow instructions - so I could do with a bit of help! Any suggestions?

AndyL, Sep 22, 2008
  2. AndyL

gerrynuk

Hi,

Just to say I have the same problem with my Minolta Magicolor 2300 DL which is networked. I can print OK from my PC but the Aspire One refuses to print. I have been in email correspondence with Linpus and they were very helpful and responded quickly but their solution still didn't work. I am puzzled by the fact that the illustrations Linpus sent me seem to show different software. Acer were no help and referred me to their very expensive Helpline.

Gerry

gerrynuk, Sep 24, 2008
  3. AndyL

scottro

I have a networked HP. The trouble is that like a few other things, the version of cups that comes with Linpus is old and doesn't work properly.

I did the following.
    (If you haven't done this yet, then first do)

sudo yum -y update fedora-release

It will probably point out that it's importing some keys, that's fine.

Then,
    sudo yum -y update cups

After that, you should see an AppSocket/HP JetDirect entry in the add printer dialogs and can use it like so
    socket://192.168.1.50

scottro, Sep 24, 2008
  4. AndyL

AndyL

Many thanks - your suggestions worked a treat! :D

AndyL, Sep 25, 2008
  5. AndyL

alSee

I've entered that command but Acer says:
    Code:
    Could not find update match for cups
    No Packages marked for Update
    And JetDirect option has not appeared. Only SMB and IPP are available.

How can I fix it?

alSee, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question