Printing from Linpus via a print server?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by grahamt, Apr 14, 2009.

1. grahamt

grahamt

Hi,

I've had a search but can't find anything that matches my problem. Apologies if I've just missed it.

I'm trying to print from my AA1 to my Brother HL-1450 laser, which connects to my other computers via a Netgear print server (PS110) and my home router. How can I configure the Linpus print utility to allow my AA1 to print to this printer?

I've updated the print utility (cups?) as far as I can. When I run it and select 'New Printer' I get a choice of Windows Printer via SAMBA, AppSocket/HP Jetdirect, Internet Printing Protocol (ipp) and LPD/LPR Host or printer. Which of these is the best one to use? And what are the settings I'd need to insert?

I don't think there's a problem with the printer driver itself, although maybe I've got another choice to make there. There are various .ppd files available, including a recommended one (...hl1250.ppd) and a few that seem to emulate HP machines (e.g. ...1450-lj5gray.ppd). My printer normally runs PCL6 emulation. Any problems there?

My print server is at 192.168.1.2 and (to Windows machines at least) presents itself as PS424427_P2 (port 2, as it's a 2-port print server.) It has a Windows-based administrative utility but nothing for Linux.

At the moment I've set it up as:
    LPD/LPR with device URI lpd://192.168.1.2/PS324427_P2
    Make & model Brother HL-1450 Foomatic/lj5gray

(the other settings, description and location, appear to be purely descriptive).

This doesn't work. I've tried a few other variations (e.g. leaving out the print server name or the _P2, trying out SAMBA and ipp) but I don't know enough about Linux printing to know if I'm close or a long way off. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Graham

grahamt, Apr 14, 2009
  2. grahamt

grahamt

OK - no-one could help. Fair enough, as it was something quite specific.

Amazingly, I've cracked it. The recommended printer driver works fine. I've configured the AA1 to print using LPD/LPR. For the URI I just entered the IP address of my print server (no need for a port number), and for the Printer Name I entered L2. If my printer had been connected to printer port 1 on the print server it would have been L1, which would be more usual.

I think the Printer Name (which seems to be equivalent to Queue Name for Windows LPR setups) is specific to the print server manufacturer. For instance, I was looking at the docs for a Brother print server and the queue name for that would be BLP1, and for a printer I set up on a Windows network using the server built into a ZyXEL router the queue name was LP1. Netgear (at least for my model, the PS110) clearly uses L1, L2, etc.

Graham

grahamt, Apr 15, 2009
  3. grahamt

Pilsener

Thank you.
    This worked for my setup using printer server also.

Pilsener, Dec 14, 2009
Ask a Question