Print to PDF

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dbwebartist, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbwebartist

dbwebartist

1.Right-click on the desktop to display the advanced menu
    2.Click on "System" and then choose "Add/Remove Programs"
    3.The Package manager will open, click on the Search tab and search for “cups-pdf” without the quotes
    4.You could have several in the list that appears. Select the one with the highest series of numbers, for example, 2.6.8.13 is HIGHER than 2.4.13.8
    5.Click on apply and allow the package to be installed
    6.Click OK to close the install dialog and then the X to close the Add/Remove Programs window
    7.That's it! Now when you print something, choose the Cups-PDF printer in the print dialog box to print PDF's

dbwebartist, Aug 14, 2008
  2. dbwebartist

jrs

Good one to add. For those who prefer the command line:
    Code:
    sudo yum install cups-pdf

jrs, Aug 14, 2008
  3. dbwebartist

dbwebartist

I forgot to mention that my PDF's are output to my /home/user folder. So they're not dispayed when I click on the My Documents icon on the desktop. I have to navigate up a folder to see them. Follow these steps to change the output folder.

1. Open a terminal window and type "sudo thunar" without the quotes. This will open the file manager with root permissions. Thanks to hintss who helped me with that little trick.
    2. Navigate to the /etc/cups and open the cups-pdf.conf file.
    3. Scroll down to the "Path Settings" section and find "Out ${DESKTOP}" without the quotes. Your "Out" keyword might have something else after it. Basically we're just changing the one "Out" line so that shouldn't matter.
    4. Put a # in front of that line to comment it out just in case you have to change it back.
    5. Then ad a new line with the text "Out /home/user/Documents", again without the quotes. This will place them in the My Documents folder. You can put them pretty much anywhere that the user has write permissions to.
    6. Save the file and you're all set. I did not have to restart cups or my computer for the changes to take affect.

dbwebartist, Aug 15, 2008
  4. dbwebartist

dbwebartist

Thanks jrs. That reduces it down to just one easy step!

dbwebartist, Aug 15, 2008
  5. dbwebartist

Sid

Thanks for this, a useful addition, I always print to PDF on my Mac's now the One can do it, I feel much more at home :)

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  6. dbwebartist

dbwebartist

Once you do create a PDF file, you'll inevitably want to print it. However, Adobe Reader's print dialog box is to big vertically for you to see the print button and can be a challenge to print something. Here's how I do it...

1. Open the print dialog box in Adobe Reader.
    2. At the very top of the print dialog box, the "Name" field is always highlighted on my computer. If it's not on yours then click the "Name" box and choose your printer again just to select the printer field. You'll see a dotted line around the printer name.
    3. Once it's selected, hold down the SHIFT key and press the TAB key once on your keyboard. This will move the selected field to the "Print" button which you can't see.
    4. Now release he SHIFT key and press the ENTER key on your keyboard. This will print the PDF and close the dialog box for you.

dbwebartist, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question