price drop has me feeling a little burned

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Guest

dhh

I purchased my One on Aug 2nd from Circuit City. They didn't have one on display so I asked to see it. The cleark I spoke with in the Computer department didn't even know they sold it. Regardless, he got one from the backroom, set it up and let me play with it before I decided to purchase it for $379. When Acer announced the price drop, I printed a copy of the article and marched into CC to get my $50 back. I could not return the One because I already added 1GB RAM and upgraded to XP.

After reading the article, the clerk told me the price protection policy only covered prices from other competitors and did not apply for retail price changes. After a few moments, she said she could match the store price which was $309. Needless to say, I happily walked out with $70 instead of $50.

dhh, Aug 30, 2008
  2. Guest

Ace_Rimmer

dhh --

Good deal, glad you got the refund! The clerk doesn't know what she is talking about. If you look at the Unbeatable Price Guarantee link on the CC web site (or look at the slick printed brochure available in the store) it clearly says that they will match their ***OWN*** prices, either store or Internet, if it drops within 30 days.

At under $400 I think the One is a great little machine, but at just over $300 -- wow!

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 30, 2008
  3. Guest

IslandBookworm

Re: NCIX has me feeling a little burned

NCIX seems to be the only major retailer that will not match its own prices. Grrr... That's the first and last time I ever buy anything from NCIX!

IslandBookworm, Sep 5, 2008
  4. Guest

xraycat

I posted my experience a week ago when I was in Rochester, NY. There was only 1 AAO 110 in stock and it was on display so because it was a display model they discounted the list price of $309 to $280 + tax.

All of the employees had no idea what the One was; the first guy I talked to said that they, "Hadn't sold any in a few years." And that, "They were discontinued, I don't even know why we have this." I didn't even mention that I wanted to buy it, just look at it but he quickly told me that he could discount it because it was their display.

Obviously they tried to sell me on the 3-year warranty for $100 but because I live in Canada a warranty valid only in US wouldn't be much use to me. That and the fact that as soon as I got home I ripped it open to put an extra stick of RAM in.

I was planning on buying the Inspiron Mini for $300 but thats what the cost of the One was so I coudln't pass it up. Now that I find out that the Inspiron Mini starts at $350 and the comparable model to the One is $400 I'm glad I bought my One when I did.

xraycat, Sep 5, 2008
  5. Guest

IslandBookworm

Re: NCIX has me feeling a little burned

UPDATE: After threatening to never buy from them again and to post their misdeeds all over the internet, NCIX (Canada) finally made "an exception" and gave me a rebate to match their current price of $409.99, though not their recent "surprise sale" price of $389.99. I'll take what I can get! But be forewarned, you'll have to fight if you want price protection from NCIX.

IslandBookworm, Sep 5, 2008
Ask a Question