price drop has me feeling a little burned

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Guest, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Will they ever make the 6 cell battery affordable on its own is the plan to keep it ridiculously expensive compared to the 6 cell model which it seems I probably should have just waited for in the first place? Especially considering it's now down to the price I paid for my 3 cell. I'm kicking myself for not just holding out that 2 weeks or so.

But the most annoying thing is that the 6 cell battery alone for some reason still costs $100+ when the price difference to buy a AAO with a 6 cell is like $30. So far I found a black 3rd party 6 cell battery for $90. Do you guys think they will ever hit the $50 mark or was it a huge mistake not to just buy a 6 cell AAO? Heck I'd even trade in my 3 cell and pay the difference if I could.

Don't get me wrong I love my One but the price drop is like salt in the wound now. I guess it's my own fault for not just waiting a few weeks. I'm still happy just not as happy as I was a week ago.

Guest, Aug 22, 2008
  2. Guest

MJBarnes

For those of us that purchased the Linpus version at Circuit City, I am assuming within 30 days they will refund the difference, correct?

How about MicroCenter? I also purchased 2 of the WIndows XP 120G models from there. Will they do any type of price guarantee or partial refund?

Thanks.

MJBarnes, Aug 22, 2008
  3. Guest

Sid

Sheesh you guys want it buttered both sides.
    Be happy :)

Sid, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Guest

Coelli

Boy, I hope so - I bought mine on Wednesday. :)

Coelli, Aug 23, 2008
  5. Guest

atarione

well... for my part I was GREEDY (GIMMIE GIMMIE :D ) I did honestly ponder the chance that the Dell 910 or Leonvo S10 would trigger somesort of Netbook price war (asus ...had best be looking at cost savings...etc on the EEEs )

meh.. CC still shows $380 right now for the A110 if they drop it in the next week or two I'll be checking about an adjustment.

but I honestly could say I've got $50 of JOY out of my AAO in the two weeks I've had the little thing so ... meh...

atarione, Aug 23, 2008
  6. Guest

levitron

I totally feel burned by this.

Acer should give us a steep discount on battery purchases to make us happy.

levitron, Aug 23, 2008
  7. Guest

SbM

That's how things go in such a fast-moving industry, prices go down real fast. That's nothing to feel burned about, or else buy only 3-year old second-hand gear and you'll fell less burned. Enjoy what you have, for f***'s sake... 6 months from now the One will probably be worth near to nothing (in terms of price), but I'll have had 6 months of fun and usefulness with it. How worth is that?

SbM, Aug 23, 2008
  8. Guest

deslock

The day you buy a computer is the day it becomes obsolete.

A $50 (13%) price drop this quickly kinda sucks, but gadget depreciation varies so whatever... the AA1 was a good deal at $380 and is a great deal at $330. A lot of people who've been asking about mine will probably get one because of this.

Of course, I paid less than $329 because of the live.com cashback deal a few weeks ago, so it's easier for me to shrug off the price drop :mrgreen:

deslock, Aug 23, 2008
  9. Guest

Sid

[/Rant mode on]
    To all those who feel "burned".
    You would be better off spending your time using the One rather than moaning about a price change.
    I really wonder how you would deal with something that was actually serious happening in your life, most of the people complaining will have wasted $40 of time and resources just searching the forum to find a thread to moan in.

This is play school attitude, you made a choice and bought the One at the price advertised, be an adult, stick with your decision.

Why is the world full of people saying "stop trying to nanny me", yet in the next breath they expect a manufacturer to bail them out of a decision that the individual made but doesn't like the results of.
    "Bail me out because I made a poor decision", moan, moan, moan.......

There are an awful lot of folk with an "inner child" that needs its butt kicking, get over it!

[/Rant]

Before you reply, if you think the finger is pointing at you, go look in the mirror, take a long honest look.....
    still angry? Well if you are, it is likely that you deserve to be the subject of the rant.

As the human torch often says "flame on" :)

Sid, Aug 23, 2008
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

I have no clue what you're talking about with the "bailing out" portion of your horrible rant, but if you think it's good business to set a price point and then literally within a week of the product showing up in stores lower that price by $50 without compensation to the people who bought it at the original price, you're retarded.

It would be easy for acer to offer us some sort of rebate or compensation if we registered our AAO's before this price change went into effect. If they are willing to take a price cut to stay competitive in this market they certainly shouldn't mind doing it on the few thousand that were sold before this date as well.

I absolutely feel slighted by Acer, and the likelihood of me purchasing another of their products after this is very low. Call it bad timing or hardware depreciation (the parts did NOT cost less to produce in the span of a week btw) or whatever you want, but I'm left with a feeling of dissatisfaction that I will be reminded of every time I see the Acer logo on something. You can't make me feel like a sucker and expect me to buy your stuff again. if that makes me a child, then I guess I'm very young at heart

Guest, Aug 23, 2008
  11. Guest

Sid

I bought my One in a store nearly a month ago (see my sig), others had One's before I did, so the price didn't change in a week. You bought when you chose to, you obviously know that acer didn't wait for you to buy and then reduce the price.

But why should they, there is no reason to do so, the price has been static for over a month.

If this price change makes you feel like that, then I suggest that you should avoid buying any technology products.

Acer did not force you to buy the One, YOU made a choice, and at that time YOU decided to buy the One, based on many things. The key point was,acer didn't hide the price from you, you bought it at a clearly advertised price. After your purchase you then saw a reduced price, but hey, is your One still unboxed inside of all its packaging, I guess not.
    You have used it, it is therefore a used product.

Think about it, go look in the mirror again :)

Sid, Aug 23, 2008
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

the 150 just came in about a week ago in North America but by all means continue to white knight Acer. And I've love to see one example of a "technology product" that receives a 15% price reduction a week after hitting store shelves like the A150 has. And you don't need to suggest I stop buying "technology products" because I already stated I probably won't buy from Acer anymore as a result of this. If you want to make more ridiculous blanket statements about technology and how I should go back to living in a cave because of this now is your opportunity.

And you miss the point again, as I am not a fucking psychic and can't tell that Acer is willing to piss off every early adopter of the 150 (I have to keep emphasizing which product because your pedantic ass is waiting to point out that the 110 was out a month ago)

If Acer doesn't give a shit about consumer relations then it's well within their rights to do nothing. Much like it's within my rights to no longer purchase their products. If you can find a way to argue that logic you're either an Acer fanboy or just a gigantic, argumentative faggot

Guest, Aug 23, 2008
  13. Guest

Sid

A final reply

Calm down, swearing and abuse are not required, or necessary.

Surely, you can have a " heated" conversation (post) without resorting to that kind of language.

I am not a "White knight" for acer, my point is that no company should have to fund a rebate in this case, many do, but they do not have to.

In general, technology products will end up with price reductions, my statement suggested that if reductions in price were an issue for you then maybe avoidance would be a better option.

Please reread my post, I was being generalistic not pedantic.

=======================================================
    ALERT

Oh by the way, you clearly missed the :) at the end of both my previous posts.........

Just so you know :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

To be taken as HUMOUR/HUMOR.

C'mon, think about it - didn't it read like a gotcha !!!!!!!

Maybe you would like to edit your previous post to remove the abuse, there are kids who visit the forum.

Apologies if you didn't like my posts.

Sid, Aug 23, 2008
  14. Guest

judeh101

Actually Acer has changed a lot! I called them, and guess what? I asked that if I can get new keyboard, because I don't use Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard, and they said sure, we will give you a US keyboard if you return the old keyboard, and I said it was a deal.
    I think Acer should save their asses, make the product better, THEN release it. :lol:

judeh101, Aug 23, 2008
  15. Guest

atarione

well... i think the OP needs to calm the heck down ... no need to being calling people f*gs not cool

however it makes me slightly better about having paid the old price for mine since the OP did also :D

also newegg finally has the blue AAO (8GB Linux 3cell ) for sale but they added it at $399 ... ouch...so apparently the price drop is **news** to them ?????

atarione, Aug 23, 2008
  16. Guest

schmoey

Great job on your rant, Sid, I totally agree with you.

I say stop wasting your time complaining and perhaps find a better alternative that could minimalize your losses if you're so mad about it (e.g. sell your current one off to someone, go out for dinner a little less this month, make full use of your Aspire One, mass Acer about it and not the forums, etc.) Why should Acer reward you for buying early? You've already been rewarded with the fact that you have your Aspire One. That alone, if used properly in the time, can be worth way more than that $50. Remember, time is money -- letting this get to you on such a large scale will lose you more than the $50, if you're so fixed on it. I know it may not be the money, it may be the concept of a sudden price drop, but I mean, get real. This is the real world, this is nothing compares to what happens out there. Things could be worse.

Oh? How do you go about retuning the keyboard? I might have to do this..

schmoey, Aug 24, 2008
  17. Guest

jfischer

I bought mine on the 12th for $399, and I got the $50+tax credited back to me yesterday in-store. Not sure how long they'll price guarantee a laptop, but I also got a credit on a desktop a while back which was nearly 30 days old at the time.

Never hurts to ask!

jfischer, Aug 24, 2008
  18. Guest

Payndz

The price drop is annoying (the Currys/PC World chain in the UK is now doing the Linux AA1 for £199, while I paid £220 barely three weeks ago from Amazon) but it's hardly the end of the world. £20 over three weeks is small enough not to get worked up about.

Besides, as I'm self-employed I can quite legitimately claim my AA1 as a business expenditure and offset the cost against my VAT and tax bill, so it'll effectively cost me nothing in the long run. :mrgreen:

Payndz, Aug 24, 2008
  19. Guest

Ryan

Most places will allow you a 30 day period in which is there is a price drop you can claim the money back or if they don't offer that see if you can claim maybe a free case for your AAO - if you're nice and say how well you were treated when you first bought it.

Ryan, Aug 24, 2008
  20. Guest

judeh101

they said I should receive it in less than 5 days.

judeh101, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question