Preventing Buyers Remorse

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by flamingswrd, Dec 3, 2008.

1. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

I have been doing a lot of research on the One and really like it, but now with the expectation of a new "better" 10" model, I do not know if I should wait until after the holidays to get one to prevent buyers remorse (since by then the "oh I don't like it, take it back" warranty will be gone). Do any owners have regrets or any future owners feel the same way? :(

flamingswrd, Dec 3, 2008
  2. flamingswrd

solman

if the 10" maintains the same dimensions as the current 8.9" frame, then i'd wait for the 10". i don't think it's possible though. there's a lot of empty space on the sides of the 8.9" screen, but the webcam at the top of the screen prevents a larger screen. in that case, i'd get the current 8.9" and start having fun.

solman, Dec 3, 2008
  3. flamingswrd

AceRyan

absolutely no regrets here! The AA1 is one of the best pieces of technology I have purchased. Granted my last laptop was a thinkpad with a 2gb hdd and 32mb of RAM. I just never really had the need for portability btwn that notebook and now. I must say it is amazing to have this type of computing power in such a small package.

btw, where in IL are you? I myself am down in the STL area, on the IL side.

AceRyan, Dec 3, 2008
  4. flamingswrd

Sergei

You can play the wait for the next feature, upgrade game forever. It happens every where - autos, mp3 players, gas, women. :) Seriously for this form factor, $349 is awesome. Enjoy now. A co-worker was proud that he got a 15" notebook for the same price as the aspire one. I just shook my head. It's all about portability. Lugging a 15" notebook vs. something as small as an acer aspire one doesn't compare. It's a totally different user experience, more personal. I can now take the AAO to more places as compared to lugging around 15"'s.

Sergei, Dec 3, 2008
  5. flamingswrd

rjm

I think it's pretty certain that the 10" version will be slightly bigger overall. In that case it simply depends on what is important to you: larger screen or smaller netbook. Also remember you will pay a price premium for the newer model.

I sympathize, it's actually a tough call.

I'd advise as follows: if you were considering a 6-cell model, wait. If you are happy buying something that big and heavy, you might as well have a slightly larger screen, too, and consider also that the 10" netbook, being larger, will have a nonprotruding, less obtrusive high-capacity battery. If you were looking at the SSD models, or interested in a discounted early 3-cell SKU, then get it now while they are available and the price is good.

rjm, Dec 3, 2008
  6. flamingswrd

lohtse

Hi

Here's my pennies worth.

I have both an Acer Aspire ONE and a 15.4" compacq laptop(2months old) and love both of them. As to which I prefer well laptop for heavy duty stuff. Aspire for general stuff and satnav(ultimate in car :D ) but am increasingly using the aspire more and more, even for gaming too!!!!!!

Am so impressed by the little machine and keep finding more things to be impressed by. Now you are holding out for the 10" machine hmmmm now first thing is you have to remember that you are only getting 1.1" of extra screen and this is measured from top corner to corner at opposite bottom. so really you will gain very little extra but you may gain an extra drain on the battery as a result... also there seems to be very little extra or new hardware in the 10" model too just seems to be away to remarket the netbook same as most car companies do each year with car models . So I ask you this do you need the small increase in screen??? If you really need the extra 1.1" of screen then wait but I doubt you do as if it was a question of eye sight(problems seeing screen) you would certainly not be looking at a netbook.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 3, 2008
  7. flamingswrd

goofball

Having worked with the u90x (which is MSI's 8.9" version of the 10" model, using same frame), I can't see how Acer could fit it in. There would be practically no bezel at all left.

In any case, there isn't any new netbook hardware really on the horizon so it should be about the same spec-wise. Hardly worth waiting for, imo.

goofball, Dec 3, 2008
  8. flamingswrd

flamingswrd

I was actually thinking of a 3-cell SSD...I found a black one on Newegg with a 16GB SSD that I rather like...and the price isn't bad either.
    Model found here
    It isn't the screen I am most interested in, but with that bezel on the current AAO, they probably could have gone bigger. What I am really debating on is whether they will make any other significant upgrades to hardware or software...and if I do wait, the new model "should" drive down the price of its predecessor.

flamingswrd, Dec 3, 2008
  9. flamingswrd

Scarpad

No regrets at all , I recieved mine yesterday and am loving it, plus I got a great deal on it for buying it now. It's what I wanted , something small to carry around easily, much bigger and it would defeat the purpose. I'm cool with the size of the screen it's fine for what I'm doing on it.

Scarpad, Dec 3, 2008
  10. flamingswrd

rjm

In that case just go out and buy it, you won't regret it.

rjm, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question