Presto Instant-On Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by pxharder, Mar 20, 2009.

1. pxharder

pxharder

All:

I just downloaded and installed Presto Linux http://www.prestomypc.com. I was absolutely fascinated with the idea of having something like the AAO Linux edition on my XP AAO (AAO 150). It downloads and installs like a Wubi installation within XP. Here are some of my impressions.

* Installation was simple and runs in Windows.
    * First run was 40 seconds to boot, but after that boot times were 15-20 seconds
    * Recognized my wireless card immediately and I was able to get on my WPA2-secured router with no problem.
    * Custom interface is based on XFCE so normal commands will work with it.
    * You need to move the toolbar from the default left side to the bottom to get the whole screen in view.
    * Volume controls do not work out of the box so some configuration will be needed (check the Presto or Xandros Linux forums).
    * Recognized my video resolution and runs fine.
    * OpenOffice 3 works great!

I'd love some other feedback from AAO users who have tried this. What's been your experience? I haven't tried to hibernate my machine yet so I'm going to try that next. But with a boot time of 15 seconds, I'm not so worried about that.

One thing to know is that Presto is in beta right now but will be for sale (for about $20) in April. Other forums I've checked have groused about paying for linux, but I'm probably going to pay for such a fast, customized application like Presto.

Regards,

Paul

pxharder, Mar 20, 2009
  2. pxharder

kenwshmt

I've not tried this yet on the acer.
    I've installed it on a few desktop systems, It is a very nice and amazingly windows friendly linux.

A concern Ive seen on the xandros presto forum is laptops and fan control, as in, no fan control. It wont run the fan.
    Have you seen this on the acer one?

kenwshmt, Mar 23, 2009
  3. pxharder

pxharder

Yes, I've seen that as well. Apparently the beta code does not include performance throttling code and runs "full open". There have been some comments on their forum of heat issues. I know I've heard the fan on my AAO running when I'm using Presto. But I only use it for a short while so I haven't seen major heat issues.

Paul

pxharder, Mar 23, 2009
  4. pxharder

kenwshmt

Presto is defiantly a Linux for the Linux shy.

The App downloader is sufficiently I-Tunes like that you can get what you need and not deal with an installer or a download directory.
    If windows craters but the boot loader works, you could run presto and work on it from there.

I like the container file approach, starting off at 3.5 gig.. which is probably more than most folk will ever need.

Its install tastes are kind of strange.. its worked on some systems but not others.

It is a nice no impact installer.. if it won't work, deinstall it and thats done.. it didn't break anything.. no partitions to remove.

kenwshmt, Mar 23, 2009
  5. pxharder

micha

I'm assuming there will be (free) alternatives once this kicks off. But is it really that fast? My AAO takes about 15 secs to get past the BIOS... After that Windows isn't too slow. It'd be nicer if there was a real instant-on (under 5 secs) after BIOS...

micha, Mar 24, 2009
  6. pxharder

xhozt

just loaded and testing on the train this morning .

FAN: on and working
    wifi : working just fine
    boot time 10 sec flat mostly bios
    posting from presto right now ..

thoughts sofar .. KICK ASS

that is all ..

xhozt, Mar 24, 2009
  7. pxharder

Jaycb

I'd like to try this on my other laptop. Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but what exactly does "beta" mean? I'm assuming it's a pre-release version that they're using to test it out... but what's to stop people avoiding paying by just keeping it on their computer when the "final" one is released? Do beta versions have a time limit to stop this? Just curious.
    I think I'd be happy to pay $20 if it's as good as it sounds, but am surprised on-one else has thought of it before. My AA0's No. 1 usage is probably my fiancee wanting to quickly check something online and not wanting to wait for PC's Win XP and the ever-worsening ZoneAlarm to fire up.

Jaycb, Mar 24, 2009
  8. pxharder

brad0022

I tested this on my prothers Vista machine since I dont have Windows on my Aspire. Very fast startup after the second startup. Have not timed it but it was very fast. It is buggy. For some reason firefox was a bit slow. In the appstore, not all apps are for the OS. Some say for iPhone. Some just lead you to an online web only service, no app. I could not add icons to the "dock". Not sure how to do it. I haven't spend more than 5-10 minutes in it each time.

brad0022, Mar 25, 2009
  9. pxharder

micha

Wanted to try it, but it only works on a NTFS system and mine's FAT32. Darn.

micha, Mar 27, 2009
  10. pxharder

Takahashi

I have this running on my base 8.9" AA1, it works like a charm.
    The boot is almost instant, takes as much time as it does for the windows loading screen to pop up, which is really nice when your on the run and you need to check something really fast. I also love the feature that shuts down the computer when you shut it, it save battery for my usage so that is always a plus. Speaking of battery life, I have noticed around an extra 40minutes to an hour when doing typical openoffice.org tasks or browsing the net. That is a huge boost for the amount of time I get with windows or ubuntu on this 3cell battery.

So far, loving it. I don't use it often because of where I usually am at when using my AA1, but on the run or at school. I love it!

Takahashi, Apr 4, 2009
  11. pxharder

Tamrac

I've read from other forums that say Presto seems to drain the batteries faster than windows. Aside from Takahashi, can you guys verify if indeed battery life has improved? Thanks.

Tamrac, Apr 5, 2009
  12. pxharder

Tamrac

Actually it has been thought of before, hehehe. AAO's Linpus version boots up at about the same time. And gives the same functionality. The only difference here is that this is installable in Windows. So rather than a separate OS, Presto is an add on to Windows systems w/c is cool. ;)

Tamrac, Apr 5, 2009
  13. pxharder

algarcia

Ive been using it since launch and i like it a lot. It drains the battery faster than XP (i own a AAO 150) but ubuntu and other distros do the same. it lasts abou 80-90 percent of the time it would on xp.

it loads really fast, from bootmenu to fully loaded desktop and online wifi takes about 15 seconds.

i would like it better if you were able to install whichevere .deb you wanted instead of that stupid app market.

algarcia, Apr 10, 2009
Ask a Question