Pre-buy query - Network to PC

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by RzB, Nov 2, 2008.

1. RzB

RzB

My wife is considering purchasing a Aspire 8g version with Linux.

I'm earmarked as "System Support" :) I'm reasonably competent with Windows and have come up through the ranks of DOS, OS/2 etc! However I know nowt about Linux, so I have some question,

Am I correct in assuming that it will be possible to set the system up, so that I can hook it into our home network (Cable), such that files on the Acer will be visible from the PC using Windows Explorer.

I have searched for this but have not found an answer.

Also what advice would you give as a good starting place to learn about Linux. I'm quite looking forward to this!

I have some further questions but I'm splitting these into individual posts for simplicity.

Thanks,
    RzB

RzB, Nov 2, 2008
  2. RzB

markh

It is indeed possible. I haven't got it set up yet, but here's a forum link I have saved for when I do: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=89

I'm a linux newbie too, but I'm finding it quite reasonable to use given precise instructions from the nice people in this forum. If you haven't seen it, I recommend macles site for really good info: http://macles.blogspot.com/

markh, Nov 2, 2008
  3. RzB

RzB

Mark,

Thanks for the confirmation and the excellent links - I knew the network one would be out there - just couldn't find it!

Many thanks,
    Roy

RzB, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question