Pre-buy query - Address/Calendar sync to PC from Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by RzB, Nov 2, 2008.

1. RzB

RzB

My wife is considering purchasing a Aspire 8g version with Linux.

Are there Address/Calendar applications that she can run on the Acer machine that she can sync with a PC running XP? It is not important for the address book to be linked to mail. It can be a totally stand alone application.

I have searched for this but have not found an answer.

I have some further questions but I'm splitting these into individual posts for simplicity.

Thanks,
    RzB

RzB, Nov 2, 2008
  2. RzB

Duncan_Rowland

Hi RzB,
    personally I use (i)google for all that... calender, gmail, todo list, etc. then it's available everywhere I am.
    -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 2, 2008
  3. RzB

RzB

Duncan,

How do you get to your Calendar/Address book etc if you are unable to connect to the internet?

Is the data downloadable to view offline on Linux?

Thannks for your help,
    RzB

RzB, Nov 2, 2008
  4. RzB

Duncan_Rowland

"unable to connect to the internet?"

For me, that is unlikely. I have a few places where I use the One at lot, and these are all wifi'd up.
    When I'm traveling, I have hotspot and 3G accounts that I use. Of course, I do have some files
    stored locally (that I'm editing or will definitely need), but very few. Also, I email anything I'm working
    on to my gmail account so I can access it on any of the computers I'm likely to find myself working at.

5. RzB

RzB

Well I guess that's OK if you have 3G etc. My wife does not have that so we need another solution.

I have a Dell Axim PDA that syncs with Outlook but that obviously needs Windows. I really want a similar solution that does not need Windows or the internet.

Surely there are people out there using the Linux based Acers for Calendars, Addresses, ToDo Lists etc that sync up with a PC? Yes/No?

Many thanks,
    Rzb

RzB, Nov 2, 2008
  6. RzB

Duncan_Rowland

Depending upon exactly what the windows syncing software is, you might find that it runs under wine...
    http://www.winehq.org/
    Sometimes it takes a little tweaking, but I think everything I've ever tried to get working has always done so...
    however, I think Outlook doesn't
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ion&iId=34
    The link suggest Evolution or Thunderbird, but like I say, I don't use either.

7. RzB

Duncan_Rowland

What software is the todo list/calender runing under?
    Presumably that will dictate which software you need to conect to it?
    The One is not a PDA, so I doubt there is serverless syncing software like you ask
    I could be wrong... do you already have software to sync one laptop to another?
    I think this will be the same whatever laptop you get for your wife...
    -Duncan.
    (e.g. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.asp)

8. RzB

RzB

Duncan,

Apols - I think I have confused the issue by mentioning my Dell. That was supposed to be just an example of the sort of functionality I'm looking for - not connected to the Acer at all.

The situation is that my wife want an offline address book, calendar, to-do list on the Linux based Acer, that can be synchronised with a Windows PC based address book, calendar, to-do list. She does not require an email client as that is a very small part of the useage and will be handled through webmail. There is no requirement for a link between the Address book and email.

There is no existing software to link up to. Question is - what is available.

Surely the Acer comes with an address book and calendar? Yes/No? Can this be saved/restored/edited from a PC?

Many thanks for your assistance.
    RzB

RzB, Nov 2, 2008
  9. RzB

Duncan_Rowland

Loads... You can pretty much install most things that are Fedora 8.
    (e.g. Evolution or Thunderbird as suggested above)
    Yes, though you may prefer to install one of the many alternatives
    The Aspire One is a PC, so yes. If you mean from Windows, then this will require installing compatible software there.
    Perhaps others can help you more in the applications (Software - Linux) forum?
    Good luck, -D.

10. RzB

RzB

Duncan,

Many thanks for your help.

Good idea - I will indeed give the Linux Software forum a try.

Thanks,
    Roy

RzB, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question