Powers on and Fan spins but nothing else

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by PreachR, Jul 9, 2009.

1. PreachR

PreachR

Hey all.. just checking to see if this is not a simple fix.. I have a friends acer and you turn on the power and the power light comes on and the CPU fan comes on. but no other activity. if you plug in a charger the charge light comes on.. I disassembled it and took out the CMOS battery to try and reset the motherboard.. but same results.. i removed the extra memory and even tested the hard drive and that is work fine.. so my question is .. is this a motherboard that needs to be replaced?? thanks

PreachR, Jul 9, 2009
  2. PreachR

jerryt

jerryt, Jul 9, 2009
  3. PreachR

PreachR

Thank you soo much.. that was an awesome result .. it works like a champ.. thanks again

PreachR, Jul 9, 2009
  4. PreachR

jerryt

You are not done yet, only half way fixed. You need to completely rewrite the bios. Please follow this procedure next.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html

jerryt, Jul 9, 2009
  5. PreachR

PreachR

Why? its working fine.. why the next step.. also any idea how this happens?

PreachR, Jul 9, 2009
  6. PreachR

jerryt

It happens in my opinion because Acer has a design flaw in their bios, which allows the bios to be written to when it should not.

The first link "Macles bios recovery" writes enough of the bios file to get your computer working again, but does not write the entire bios.

Want proof?

Then note that when you use the Macles Bios Recovery method to install a later version of the bios. Say it is at .3305 and you use Macles method to install version .3307 and after you finish press F2 during boot and note the bios version will still be .3305

So if you want to COMPLETELY rewrite a new bios, use the second link. I recommend .3309

jerryt, Jul 10, 2009
  7. PreachR

PreachR

I didn't even know that the bios files were up that high.. the acer website only had a 3303 version.. is there a link to the improvements of these new files

PreachR, Jul 10, 2009
  8. PreachR

PreachR

Also i looked at the bios and says its version v0.3114 is that a good version or out of date

PreachR, Jul 10, 2009
  9. PreachR

jerryt

I recommend .3309

I believe the early number bios version were the ones which get corrupt, I have never seen .3309 go bad.

jerryt, Jul 10, 2009
Ask a Question