Powers off when holding

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by drain, Jul 24, 2010.

1. drain

drain

If I hold my acer aspire one 10.1 D250 by picking it up (LCD open and running) to say move it from one room to another, "IF" I pick it up by the right side it powers off. To hold it with LCD open to pick it up, of course you grab the bottom section, to the right of the touchpad (thumb on top, fingers underneath) and pick it up. Powers off instantly. I'm pretty savvy with repairs on computers/laptops but can anyone point me to what might be shorting out inside? I'm betting there's a short to the chassis somewhere, and no I am nowhere near the power button when picking up the unit.

Thanks everyone.

drain, Jul 24, 2010
  2. drain

Swarvey Moderator

A few times now I've been leaning over my D250 to get something from the desk behind it, and my mobile phone has fallen out, both times it's hit the keyboard near the space bar area. Instant shut down.

I haven't worried about it too much, i just don't keep my phone in my shirt pocket anymore, I can pick up my D250 from just about anywhere to carry it. I'd say have a look at the connection between the daughterboard (that holds the card reader, WiFi switch, USB and power connector) or check the condition of the daughter board itself.

Swarvey, Jul 24, 2010
  3. drain

wickedgg

Same problem here with my sons, 250, I took it apart but didn't see anything obvious on the motherboard or with the wifi or usb. Anyone made any progress or have suggestions for this problem.

wickedgg, Nov 30, 2010
  4. drain

sadievan

I have a 532h and the same thing. If I pick it up by the sides (press on sides slightly) it powers off. Doesn't happen all the time. May be after it's been on for a while.

Carol

sadievan, Dec 15, 2010
  5. drain

sadievan

I had the same problem with mine and I did post a reply to this thread. I was all set to return mine to Costco and I decided to call Costco Concierge service first. Glad I did. Turns out we determined it only happened on battery power. Checked the battery and the little locking tab was not locked. I took out the battery and put it back in making sure to lock the tabs. Seems to be working ok now. So check your battery and make sure it is seated and locked.

HTH
    Carol

sadievan, Jan 3, 2011
Ask a Question