Power to AA1 intermittent when running on mains...HELP!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by andy100, Oct 5, 2009.

1. andy100

andy100

Recently my AA1 8.9" has developed a fault in that, when plugged into the mains (most of the time actually) it doesn't always seem to charge/run off of the mains power.

I've found a post to a similar problem here (third post in)

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=17348&p=103090&hilit=power+lead+charging#p103090

I also had a similar problem a few years ago with an Acer notebook, which turned out to be the power board coming loose inside where the socket entered the case and which cost £120 to fix (I'm not very hands-on hardware inclined unfortunately :(). I know from that experience that laptops are prone to this problem due to the design of the power socket, but I've had my AA1 about a year now and didn't expect it to happen so quickly!

If I wiggle the power lead in the socket it seems to help and I can normally find the 'sweet spot', but from my previous experience this can only get worse.

To those technically experienced, dowa this sound like I've 'diagnosed' the problem correctly, or has anybody else had this problem yet? What are my options in solving it?

Thanks for any advice!

Andy

andy100, Oct 5, 2009
  2. andy100

andy100

Nobody can offer any advice? The problem seems to be getting worse, but before I start making enquiries with repair shops I'd like to try to get an idea of the root cause so I don't get ripped off with getting this fixed!

Cheers,
    Andy

andy100, Oct 7, 2009
  3. andy100

Forone

I've just had the problem this morning. Usually I run off the AC Adapter alone, and leave it plugged in overnight either powered down or in standby. Last night I powered down and this morning it acted dead - power button did not work. The machine worked fine on battery once I inserted that, but it didn't charge. Then I knocked on the adapter brick with my knuckle and it started charging, but goes off whenever the adapter brick is slightly moved.

I have a few days left on my OEM warranty, so phoned Acer. The support rep had me uninstall battery and adapter, press the power button for ten seconds to "drain" the machine, and it restarted on AC alone. She gave me a ticket number and told me to see if it acts up again, and said she is not certain if it is a problem with the AC brick or with the machine itself. Since signing off with her, the brick went dead again when I moved it a little, but the button press worked again to restart it. So it is running now.

UPDATE 091018 - On the weekend saw a small spark from the AC to brick cord right at the heavy rubber plug section. The insulation was broken and the copper nearly severed. Called Acer service Sunday and a replacement cord arrived Wednesday by FedEx, pretty good service so far. If there is damage to the adapter itself from the shorted cord, the service ticket is ongoing and the problem is under the warranty.

Forone, Oct 16, 2009
Ask a Question