Power supply item coming up as 'unknown device'

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Biostem, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Biostem

Biostem

I recently got my Aspire One, and formatted the drive to install XPLite w/ SP3. After some tweaking I got all the devices installed & working, except for 1. I believe this is the driver for the power supply of the laptop, as it always thinks it's in AC power mode, and when I shut it down I have to press the power button to actually turn it off, (it gives the 'now safe to turn off' message). I checked, and I do have the batt.dll file in my system32 directory. Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me what file(s) I need? Thanks!

Biostem, Sep 6, 2008
  2. Biostem

goofball

is it a device that needs a driver in XP? What is it showing in device manager for this device?
    I didn't install any drivers for power/battery, and my xp sp3 works as it should.

goofball, Sep 6, 2008
  3. Biostem

Biostem

All my devices in my Aspire One *do* work correctly. There is an 'unknown device' listed in my device manager, and the only thing I can think of is that it's the battery/power supply device. I say this because when I choose the option to display the power meter, it shows I'm on AC power even when I'm not, and when I shut down the computer it goes to the 'It is now safe to turn off your computer.' screen instead of simply turn itself off automatically.

In short, I need the XP driver...

Biostem, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Biostem

goofball

do you have 2 devices under "Battery" in device manager?

goofball, Sep 6, 2008
  5. Biostem

ginguskahn

You need to add batt.dll to the x:\windows\system32 folder as I recall, google it and the 1st link should allow you to download it.

ginguskahn, Sep 6, 2008
  6. Biostem

Biostem

Batt.dll IS in system32. I already mentioned that. The problem is, there is NO battery category in my device manager, only the 'unknown device'. I need the driver for that unknown device, which I believe is the battery in question. I tried some of the generic battery drivers included w/ XP, but they didn't work...

Biostem, Sep 6, 2008
  7. Biostem

ginguskahn

Sorry I misread, I was in a rush earlier.

Sounds like XPlite may have removed ACPI or something similar, thats what usually causes the "now safe to turn off" message, instead of just shutting down. Have a look in the device manager, under system devices, the first 4 items should all be ACPI related, do you have them?

ginguskahn, Sep 6, 2008
  8. Biostem

Biostem

The top-most item in the device manager is 'Computer'. In that category, the only item listed is 'Standard PC'. There is no battery or ACPI device at all. Thank you for your help.

Biostem, Sep 6, 2008
  9. Biostem

goofball

Computer type should be ACPI Multiprocessor PC. That is the problem you're having. I don't believe there is an easy way to change the computer type in XP unlike windows 2000 which was very easy.

If your'e ok with reinstalling the OS, press F5 once it gets to the blue screen where it asks you to press F6 to install scsi drivers, then you can select the Computer Machine type.

goofball, Sep 7, 2008
  10. Biostem

Biostem

Dang. I was hoping there was a way to fix this w/o reinstalling. I may just go an install Tiny Vista. Of course, I could just deal w/ it too, but y'know - I hate that yellow '!' in the device manager.

So.. no way to just fix this, huh?

Biostem, Sep 7, 2008
  11. Biostem

goofball

there have been some that have had some success by extracting the right HAL files from the XP CD and setting up the boot.ini entry to load the right HAL but I haven't been one of those who have had such success.

goofball, Sep 7, 2008
  12. Biostem

ginguskahn

ginguskahn, Sep 7, 2008
  13. Biostem

Biostem

Just wanted to say I reformatted & installed TinyVista. Not only did it resolve my battery issue, but it seems a tad quicker. Thanks anyway.

Biostem, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question