Power supply alternatives?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by dsewell, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dsewell

dsewell

How can I tell what other power supplies might work with the AAO? The regular one is really heavy. If Input and Output listed on the power supply are the same and the plug fits, does that guarantee it won't hurt the machine? Thanks!

dsewell, Dec 11, 2008
  2. dsewell

hillsoft

Things to make sure of.

Input and output voltage as you mention.

Total amperage the supply can handle. You want to get one rated at least the same as the Acer one.

One other thing that I have seen as a problem on the game console front is to make sure the polarity of the connector is the same on both power supplies.

On the power supply connector that plugs into the acer you have the inner part which makes a connection and the outer ring that makes the other connection. One is positive one is negative. The polarity is listed on the power supply with a little diagram (usually right after the voltage/amperage). It shows the plus and minus sides with lines showing which goes to the inner connection and which goes to the outer ring on the little power connector.

The AA1 for instance has the positive connection going to the inside ring in the power connector.

On the classic game console front I have seen numerous people on an Atari forum post about frying their Atari Jaguar's because they used a Sega Genesis power supply (which is the same voltage and amperage as the Jaguar's). Problem is the polarity is reverse for the two systems. Plug it into your Jaguar and BOOM. The Jaguar has positive on the outside ring.

Now the electronics in a laptop might be smarter enough now to work with either polarity connector, but I wouldn't take chances.

hillsoft, Dec 11, 2008
  3. dsewell

bperrybap

If you are looking for a pre-made ready to go solution,
    here is a pretty nice one for travel that includes multiple plugs.

http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=02773&dept_id=003&cat_id=0021

These same guys sell a +12v version for using with a cigarette lighter plug.

Below is a link to a thread about modifying the adapter cord & plug and alternative power supplies.
    To me, some ideas and products look interesting, and others, well, look kind of scary.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6918&st=0

bperrybap, Dec 13, 2008
Ask a Question