Power recharge area is tweaky

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by essendoubleop, Nov 12, 2012.

1. essendoubleop

essendoubleop

The socket that receives the power charge is having problems in my Acer Aspire 4530. I've had it for about 4 years now. I used to have get a new battery recharger every 5-6 months to replace the ones that no longer send power. I usually have to wiggle around the power cord that connects to the socket until it receives the charge, then usually try to keep it formed around the area to maintain the connection. The connection is usually tenuous and loses the charge if I adjust the laptop too much.

I recently bought a new battery, and a new recharger and it didn't help. I think the socket area is the problem. Is this fixable or should I look towards buying a new laptop?

essendoubleop, Nov 12, 2012
  2. essendoubleop

Ziggy925

Everything is fixable. Sounds like you will have to open the computer and either repair or replace the socket on the motherboard. Often it's nothing more than a bad solder joint -- easy for a tech to fix but not so for a novice. To open the computer, should you choose to do so, you can try YouTube for instructions.

The reason I arrived at this is because you say you got a new charger and you still have the problem. That would eliminate the plug and the cord on the charger, which is usually the problem. Constant stress on the cord will either break the cord at the plug or damage the socket where it attaches to the motherboard. As a technician I see this a lot.

Ziggy925, Nov 13, 2012
  3. essendoubleop

essendoubleop

Thanks, how much would it cost for a fair rate to get it fixed?

essendoubleop, Nov 13, 2012
  4. essendoubleop

Ziggy925

You have to find a computer or electronic tech who is willing to get in there and see what's what. Most techs these days unplug and replace things, and most computer techs are software whizzes and don't know how to solder. I would call around and make sure they know it's the jack and not the plug. Parts are often easy to find on eBay, assuming you needed a motherboard.

If you have a friend who knows how to solder you may be able to do it yourself. Just take your time and take photos so you can get everything back together. You may also be able to cut away the bottom of the case to get to the solder joints (fastest way to fix it). Good luck.

As for a price, if you can find someone who will do it they often charge a flat rate to work on any computer. You are probably going to hear a lot of "The motherboard needs to be replaced," and to do that the entire computer has to come apart. Older notebooks don't have much value (check the prices on eBay) so I would probably use a Dremel and cut aways the case. Fortunately the jack is located on the edge of the board making the operation fairly easy.

BTW, I'm assuming the the solder joints are on the bottom on the board which is also the bottom of the computer. Could be on the "top" complicating things.

Ziggy925, Nov 14, 2012
  5. essendoubleop

Ziggy925

PS. Considering the computers age you might do this: Carfully cut away the botton of the case where the jack is -- it only needs to be about a square inch. At this point you may be able to see the problem. If so, take the computer to some electronic repair shops and see if the tech there will solder the bad joint while you wait. Unless you try to do this with a chain saw, I doubt it will make things any worse.

Ziggy925, Nov 14, 2012
Ask a Question