Power off after exactly 30 seconds (solved!)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Guest, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

So we had a problem today on a friend's Aspire One that I'd like to pass on in case anyone else encounters it. I found at least two other instances of it described on the net. Maybe this is even a common problem, but I haven't seen the solution yet.

The behavior is that the machine powers off exactly 30 seconds after the first BIOS boot information shows up on the screen after powering on. It happens if you let it start to boot into windows, or even just enter the BIOS setup and leave it.

Having had one of ours power off suddenly when running a game and with the air vents blocked, my guess was that it's a problem with the temperature sensor. I believe that the BIOS enables a hardware temperature failsafe that will cause the power to be yanked if a "high temperature" condition exists for more than 30 seconds. Further, I believe the temperature sensor, whatever technology it uses, does not always fully reset when the temperature returns to normal.

So a system which has experienced a high temperature may get the sensor "stuck" at which point you'll see the 30 second shutdowns.

Based on this wild-guess at the problem, I put the laptop into a 1 gallon zip-lock style bag and stuck it in the freezer for ten minutes.

That seems to have solved the problem completely.

G.

Guest, Jul 23, 2009
  2. Guest

tesfalcon

My AAOne started doing that today. (I haven't time the exactly 30 seconds part, but it's close.) I'll try that and report back.

Thanks!
    -TNFalcon

tesfalcon, Jul 23, 2009
  3. Guest

tesfalcon

BINGO! I did that and it's fixed now. Thanks for the tip.

-TNF

tesfalcon, Jul 24, 2009
  4. Guest

sramamur

My 8.9" netbook was also shutting down after 2 to 30 seconds of rebooting. Tried the freezer bag trick and it works. This is a great idea!!!!
    Sri.

sramamur, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Guest

refalgren

I'm experiencing the same issue. However, the ziplock in the freezer trick seems to only extend the time to about 1-5 minutes before resuming the 20-30sec shutdowns. what should I do at this point?

refalgren, Aug 2, 2009
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

If it were me, I'd probably try a longer time in the freezer. There might be hazards though and offhand I don't know what the lowest allowed storage temperature is. If it's fully sealed up in a waterproof bag then it probably would be fine, but if you get it very cold then like any electronic device you should let it warm back up to room temperature for a few hours in case there's condensation inside as it warms up. I would remove the battery before cooling it too.

No warranty expressed or implied, your mileage may vary :)

In the end though your problem might not be curable through this technique.

G.

Guest, Aug 2, 2009
  7. Guest

jerryt

Your fan most likely is not working

jerryt, Aug 2, 2009
  8. Guest

refalgren

Left the computer in the freezer for a few hours. still had the same issue. Is the temperature switch were trying to reset able to be disabled? Also, how to repair a non-working fan?

refalgren, Aug 2, 2009
  9. Guest

jerryt

Temperature switch - replace the motherboard

Non working fan - replace with a working fan.

jerryt, Aug 2, 2009
  10. Guest

zeecue

Wheres the temperature sensor mounted? in the CPU die, or?

zeecue, Aug 2, 2009
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

This is a really interesting question to which I don't know the answer. My guess is it's not using the CPU's on-die temp (if any) since I would expect that to be a lot more reliable than is suggested by the number of people having this problem. So my guess is it's something on the motherboard. If anyone knows I'd sure like to know, since I'm curious what technology it uses that even has the potential to fail the way these seem to be.

G.

Guest, Aug 3, 2009
  12. Guest

jerryt

jerryt, Aug 3, 2009
  13. Guest

refalgren

how do I contact ACER for repairs of my ONE? or should I just buy the new mobo and install it myself?

refalgren, Aug 3, 2009
  14. Guest

jerryt

If it is under warranty then for sure call Acer.

If it is not under warranty, I believe Acer would charge you more for the motherboard then a new computer could be bought for. In this case install another motherboard yourself.

jerryt, Aug 3, 2009
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Guest, Aug 3, 2009
  16. Guest

jerryt

Someone who can read and understand the motherboard schematics might be able to determine a hack.

The hack could be something like adding a resister between point A and point B, which tricks the computer into see only one temperature. Or even adding an external thermal diode that would function the same as the internal diode.

jerryt, Aug 4, 2009
  17. Guest

Antithesis

I had the same problem and it continued after a few days, so I reformatted my HD and it solved the problem.

Antithesis, Aug 18, 2009
Ask a Question