power jack replacement help AOA150

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Retronegro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Retronegro

Retronegro

i have a acer aspire one zg5 that was given to me, dont really know the history of it but the ac adapter was soldered to the charging port contacts due to the charging port being removed? i guess this was someones attempt at fixing it. anyway, i ordered a replacement power jack from ebay and wanted some basic instructions on how i should approach the project. i already removed the ac adapter as it did not power on the computer.

Retronegro, Sep 10, 2012
  2. Retronegro

something back

something back, Sep 11, 2012
  3. Retronegro

Retronegro

just figure i would give a update as to what ive tryed. i had a friend do most of the soldering, but we removed most of the excess solder to get a nice clean surface. then he soldered on the new port and when i assembled the case and tested power, it did power on but only if i held it in a certain postion, like tilting it with my hand.

the next day howerver, it did not turn on, so im not sure if i dont have the right quality of solder or what.

Retronegro, Oct 5, 2012
  4. Retronegro

g3vbl

That suggests one of two things, either a broken track or poor soldering. More likely the latter (I hope!) You really need a friend who can not only solder, but also recognise a bad joint when he/she makes one.

Be careful not to apply to much heat (or too little!) and good luck.

g3vbl, Oct 11, 2012
  5. Retronegro

Retronegro

what other motherboard are compatible with my netbook, obviously the one in zg5 would be, but would i be able to use any other motherboards from acer netbooks, or even other branded netbooks?

this is my first time really delving into netbook repair, ive repaired desktops for years so i know the compatibility between desktop mobos (ram type, processor socket, etc.) but im not sure if it will apply to netbooks too.

thanks guys

Retronegro, Oct 19, 2012
Ask a Question