Power jack - how to replace

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by logiwan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. logiwan

logiwan

After some help on a different topic about not being able to get any power into my AAO i am now the slightly bemused owner of a replacement power jack. I haven't been able to find any info on actually replacing it though. Can anyone give me a quick guide to getting the old one off and the new one on please?

logiwan, Jun 30, 2010
  2. logiwan

ratbird

You'll need some de-soldering tools and soldering tools. You will find this at radioshack.
    I mostly use a soldering braid to remove the old jack.

Heres a video that teaches the concept of de-soldering and soldering.

just remember to take your time and don't get soldering on the rest of the motherboard.
    Also I just installed a new jack into the ZG5 motherboard and it took some time. The reason is that the soldering is not on the surface of the board but inside so you just have to dig a bit with the soldering tip to get the old solder hot enough and out.

here are more vids
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... +jack&aq=f

ratbird, Jun 30, 2010
  3. logiwan

logiwan

hey man, thanks alot for your reply - time to learn a new life skill.

logiwan, Jul 1, 2010
  4. logiwan

shaycando

i just had my power jack go out on my aao i found the jacks on ebay for 3-8 bucks it was an easy fix since i knew how to take it apart already the it took me about 30 mins to complete the job i was a lil scared of messing it up but i thought to myself it broken already so i cant do anything but try and hope to do it right and get it to work and i did i give it a 5 out of 10 on how hard it was

shaycando, Jul 20, 2010
Ask a Question