Power Cord For Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by _mouse_, Dec 3, 2008.

1. _mouse_

_mouse_

I have an Acer Aspire One (canadian 120gig HD, linux, etcetc), and a really bad cat. Put those together and now I don't have a working power cord. Does anyone know where I can get one relatively cheap? I know this has probably been asked before, but I'm trying to conserve my battery, and not waste time searching the forum. I found this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Acer-Aspire-One-New ... 2004r34883

Will that work?

On a related note, does anyone know of anything to keep a cat from chewing cords?

_mouse_, Dec 3, 2008
  2. _mouse_

flamingswrd

Don't have a clue about the cord (a "universal" one may be a cheap alternative...just make sure it is compatible and such), but the cat...now that I have a few ideas about.
    1) Get him/her a catnip toy...that should keep your cat busy
    2) Many animals and insects cant stand sage (my cat eats most plants except for sage). You could rub a leaf on the cord and the scent could drive them away.
    3) Play with your cat...chances are if it is coming near you and chewing on your cord, it wants attention.
    4) I would suggest a squirt bottle and water....BUT we all know how water and electricity get along...
    5) If all else fails, yell their name, pick them up (or spook them) and move them away from it.

flamingswrd, Dec 3, 2008
  3. _mouse_

rlwc

I picked up 3 old DirecTV D10 (I think) satellite boxes when my father-in-law got cable. It turns out that the power cords for them have the same 3 prong female connector as the Acer power cord at the "power brick" end. You might be able to get one from a local DirecTV installer, as they've been removing many of those and installing the new HD receivers lately.

In answer to your second question, I'd suggest painting some Tabasco sauce or Texas Pete sauce on the cord. The cat won't ever bite it again (and it won't cause any permanent feline damage, either!)! :twisted:

RLWC

rlwc, Dec 3, 2008
  4. _mouse_

ncc123

Well, you can either buy the cheapest complete AAO power supply I know of on ebay at:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

Or, you can buy just the power cord from the same seller. In fact, I just bought one today from them for just $5 shipped !! Good deal I think.

BTW, they have the 2-prong and the 3-prong (mickey mouse) cords for sale.

ncc123, Dec 4, 2008
  5. _mouse_

_mouse_

Thanks for the help everyone... I ended up getting the ebay one. As for my cat, I play with him plenty, he's just a jerk :p He chewed up the cord to my computer, ethernet, 2 pairs of headphones and my DS charger over the course of a week. I've just started putting cords away at night, as that's the only solution I can find.

_mouse_, Dec 4, 2008
  6. _mouse_

flamingswrd

lol. yes...cats are jerks...and dont try the hot sauce thing...lots of animals cant "taste" hot stuff like humans can.

flamingswrd, Dec 4, 2008
  7. _mouse_

info

Please Ignore

Posted in error. Please ignore.

info, Dec 4, 2008
  8. _mouse_

winter_war

You can make one of the two prong cables work by splitting the end and slipping it on the connectors at the brick.

As for the cat, leave the cable plugged into the mains. He shouldn't be too interested after getting hold of that one time. :twisted:

winter_war, Dec 4, 2008
  9. _mouse_

grossm

I live in the US. I will be going to the UK and want to take my Acer Aspire with me. The 3-prong plug on the power cord that came with my AC/DC adapter is marked 7A 125V. The cord itself is marked as 300V 18 AWG. Can I use this power cord in the UK, with the proper plug adapter? Even though UK voltage is 240, the adapter is marked 1.2 A for both 120 and 240V.

grossm, Apr 7, 2009
  10. _mouse_

info

I'm not sure, but the adaptor itself (the square Lite-On box that is on the original adaptor) says "input: 100-240 V..." so it seems that it would be ok. I would re-confirm though as I am not the expert on these things and don't have that much experience with 240V.

info, Apr 7, 2009
Ask a Question