Potential University Wireless Problem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Marshall Banana, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Marshall Banana

Marshall Banana

I have not yet purchased an Acer Aspire One yet, but plan on doing so very soon (within a week) and have been leaning towards the Linux version. I'm buying this mainly for school but after looking at my University's wireless setup procedure, they do not list any compatibility with Linux. What I mean is that to use the wireless you need to download a program and install it on your computer for what I assume is part of the authentication process. Here is the page the instructions are located on: http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=47&p=9474

If someone wouldn't mind looking at the instructions and letting me know if it won't be a problem with Linux I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Marshall Banana, Aug 29, 2008
  2. Marshall Banana

IMSancho

It looks like that program just simplifies the connection process for the Windows users, if you look at the Mac instructions it seems to just be a normal WPA enterprise set-up and should work fine with the Linux version of the One, provided you upgrade the NetworkManager to a version that supports WPA enterprise (the one that ships with the laptop doesn't include this)

IMSancho, Aug 29, 2008
  3. Marshall Banana

Marshall Banana

Thanks a lot for the quick response. One last question, is there an update to the network manager that allows WPA enterprise and if so, where would I find it?

Marshall Banana, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Marshall Banana

IMSancho

IMSancho, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question