Possibly Stupid Question Regarding Speed

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by londonali1010, Nov 27, 2008.

1. londonali1010

londonali1010

Right. I've got the standard xfce desktop, compiz/emerald theme, ff3, and cairo dock running, and my AA1 is FRUSTRATINGLY slow. It's mostly okay, but it has long (okay, a couple seconds) where the whole thing just freezes and it's driving me mad. My old desktop has 512 MB (same as my AA1) and it does all this and more just fine, so I guess what I want to know is...

...Is it silly for me to expect that while running these things, I will have a slow machine, or do y'all think that there's something else going on? I need to take a poll because if it's normal, I'll live with it, otherwise I'm thinking of blasting the whole thing and either trying a standard linux os, or going back to the original AA1 desktop (booooooooring).

Any input welcome, thanks!

PS> My system: 512 MB RAM, 8 GB SSD, linux

Thanks,
    Alison

londonali1010, Nov 27, 2008
  2. londonali1010

daldred

3. londonali1010

londonali1010

Hm. I did look at that before, but I didn't really understand a lot of it. I did the fix with yum, but I couldn't find the places.sqlite file and I'm wary of the pdflush tweaking he suggested because of the data loss risk. Anyway, just the yum fix didn't make a noticeable difference. I think I will have to be satisfied to wait for the proper fix to come out. I guess what I wanted was just a straw poll of others who run the same apps (because it sounds like a lot of us use what I use) as to whether they all have problems with slow/freezing as well.

Thanks for your quick reply!

londonali1010, Nov 27, 2008
Ask a Question