Possible to boot OSx86 from External USB harddrive?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Guest, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm trying to do this on my AOA150-1555, but am not getting a response when i try to boot from it from the Boot Menu.

Any suggestions?

Guest, Jul 2, 2009
  2. Guest

rory

yes it is
    I have done it many times. you need to install chameleon 2 to get it to boot

rory, Jul 2, 2009
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

could you please let me know how you did that? Im trying to figure out where in the install process Chameleon comes in.

thank you

Guest, Jul 2, 2009
  4. Guest

rory

Its is indentical to installing the an internal one. Boot the installer, whether it be on a usb stick, external dvd or another partition on the external hdd.
    Then install selecting all patches etc and make sure that a bootloader is selected. Any will do but i always use chameleon 2.
    then install and it will work
    cant see where you could be going wrong as its literally identical to an internal hdd install.

rory, Jul 2, 2009
  5. Guest

tieitsch

Does the install work with SD-Cards too? I mean boot from the internal card readers.

tieitsch, Jul 3, 2009
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

The SD card solution is something I've been wondering about. I wish i had one so i could try it..

Guest, Jul 4, 2009
  7. Guest

DutchDK

Booting from the internal card readers is not going to work on the Acer Aspire One A series (A110 and A150) which means the AAO's with 8.9" screens, since there is no support in the bios to boot from the card readers.

The only ways to utilize having the OS on the SD card, is to either use an external USB connected SD cardreader, or to having the initial boot from the internal harddisk load a kernel and init that includes driversupport for the cardreaders, and which proceeds booting the rest of the OS from the SD card. That is possible with a *nix based OS, but I do not know how to set that up in OS X.

DutchDK, Jul 4, 2009
  8. Guest

finchCZ

yes it is, you can see these videos on youtube

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w12yhjHaHRc
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGTbdVGc7o[/url]
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6B0BQm6JHc[/url]
    but it is so much slowly as can be possible

finchCZ, Feb 8, 2010
Ask a Question