possible hardware problem?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by scissorbot, Apr 5, 2009.

1. scissorbot

scissorbot

Hello, I recently installed the solderless touch screen and had problems getting it to work, so after assembling and disassembling the AAO to recheck my wires/connections, I now have a bigger problem where once i get into the XP loading screen (the one with the XP logo and blue bar) it starts moving very slow, compared to how it's supposed to move. It then then stays at this screen for a quite a while and hasn't gone past it. System gets stuck while trying to boot into safe mode also.

I reinstalled windows on it and it still does it. I Checked the ram, and HD and everything else appears to be fine.
    Any ideas? Perhaps a problem with the HD? If needed i can try taking out the touch screen hardware and restore all the hardware to how it was before, but I'd like to see if there's solution to this problem before going through all that trouble. Thanks

scissorbot, Apr 5, 2009
  2. scissorbot

garrettp

If you reinstalled the OS and it still hangs, it has to be a driver issue and probably with the touch screen. You should be able to go into Windows Device Manager and "disable" the touch screen and reboot and see if that changes anything. You can also go into MSconfig and disable anything that loads on startup that you do not need. I would suggest unchecking one thing at a time in MSconfig startup and then reboot until you find the culprit.

garrettp, Apr 5, 2009
  3. scissorbot

scissorbot

Thanks for the reply :)

You were probably right that it had to do with the touch screen. I went ahead and completely took out the touch screen, and reconnected everything to it's original place and unsurprisingly it went past that slow XP blue bar loading screen thing and into rest of the actual XP installation. (big sigh of relief as i thought i ruined my netbook)

I suppose now that I know that was the problem, I'll try and reinstall the touch screen again some time. However, concerning that, I rechecked the connections and everything seemed fine. However, I'm assuming it had something to do with the connections that caused the problem. Driver issue problem maybe, I remembered after I installed the touch screen and booted, the touch screen only came up as "unknown device" under the USB category and redirecting the driver to install from the touchkit driver folder didn't work as well.

I know that I'm turning this into a thread that belongs in the "hardware mods" section, but since i'm already here, any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

scissorbot, Apr 5, 2009
  4. scissorbot

garrettp

I would suggest posting this now over in the section as you stated. Make sure you put, "Touch screen issue" in the title. I would also either post pics of your install or list how it is done to be sure it was correct. It does sound like a driver issue. Almost like it reinstalled the driver every time you rebooted. Or the driver would hang as it searched for the device. Maybe look for an update to the driver.

garrettp, Apr 5, 2009
  5. scissorbot

scissorbot

So I attempted to reinstall the touch screen and I got it successfully installed. Not quite sure what the problem was exactly, but hopefully it won't happen again in the future. Thanks.

scissorbot, Apr 6, 2009
  6. scissorbot

garrettp

Well, that is great to hear. It could have simply been a driver issue. If it happens again, try as I said above and "uninstall" the device from Windows Device Manager, reboot and install the latest driver.

Although, it could have been a poor connection internally with your install.

garrettp, Apr 6, 2009
Ask a Question