Possible DIY AAO display upgrade... 8.9" to 10.1 reflective?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by CZroe, Jun 9, 2009.

1. CZroe

CZroe

Engadget led me to a video where some engineer lady talks about and demonstrates a color reflective LCD that is visible in direct sunlight. Their specific technology loses most color in direct sunlight but is extremely visible, like eInk. Unlike eInk, it remains at high performance/refresh rates suitable for video. From my perspective, the fact that it still has some color in direct sunlight and returns to full color in the shade makes it a "no compromise" solution, especially when you can still turn on the optional backlight. If anything, it should use far less power in any situation with enough ambient light.

Now, all that is interesting enough as it is, but they took an off-the-shelf 10" AAO and retrofit it with their screen. The person making the video asks the engineer if she will provide a kit for other Do-It-Yourself-ers ("DIY-ers") and she actually says that they are exploring that option as a way to increase manufacturing volume (thus, economies of scale)! The first thing I thought about was nabbing a 10" one with a custom bezel for my 8.9" AAO. ;) I wouldn't mind a resolution bump too, though most 10.1' screens remain 1024x600 (I would want a *real* upgrade). She aparantly reads the comments section of engadget, so anyone who actually wants to see an emerging technology cater to the DIY enthusiasts should comment on the article and ask for it!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/07/pixe ... eds-light/

CZroe, Jun 9, 2009
  2. CZroe

thunderzhao

Re: Possible DIY AAO display upgrade... 8.9" to 10.1 reflect

have you found an answer?

thunderzhao, Jul 12, 2010
  3. CZroe

longjohn412

Re: Possible DIY AAO display upgrade... 8.9" to 10.1 reflect

The same lady engineer is one of the folks behind OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) Project, it's called the Pixel Qi display and they are selling them on the Make website store.

Problem is they are going for $275 a pop effectively doubling the price of you netbook (You could get a refurb 13" Panasonic Toughbook with daylight viewable display for around the same price as a netbook and a Pixel Qi display) and they don't have a model with the right connector for the Acer Ones yet, only the Samsung N130 & Lenovo S10-2. I don't expect the price to drop anytime soon either, the first batch they got sold out in 24 hours and they are taking preorders for the next batch. As long as they sell fast for $275 there is no reason for them to lower the price

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKPQ01&Show=ExtInfo

http://pixelqi.com/blog1/

I opted for an anti-glare screen protector and a 'PC Shade" for my netbook to touchscreen Tablet PC conversion ... My only problem now is adjusting the brightness since I have no internal keyboard I can't adjust the brightness in the field and using a screen dimmer program isn't working out because the damn thing won't stay on the full bright setting. I can plug the keyboard back in and max out the brightness again and unplug the keyboard but after a couple of shutdowns it defaults to 4 steps below high. Funny how not a single person doing this mod ever mentioned you lose control of your backlighting adjustment. Since Acer (and most manufacturers) are still stuck in the 90's with their thinking the Fn key is hidden from everything but the BIOS making any kind of work around short of hacking the BIOS impossible (So far and if I figure a way around I'll be the first that I can find)

Here's a picture of it in use in my boat before the anti-glare protector and hood ... Frankly I'd rather have a larger version of the Garmin fishfinder screen if it were available, look how bright it is on setting 5 of 10 for the backlighting
    [​IMG]

longjohn412, Jul 15, 2010
Ask a Question