Possible conversion from 1.8" IDE to 2.5" SATA?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Stuee, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Stuee

Stuee

Hi, I've seen this adapter on eBay. Anyone know whether it'd fit inside a One AOA110-Ab? Wishful thinking, right? :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-8-ZIF-LIF-SSD-to-SATA-Adaptor-for-Acer-Aspire-One-9A_W0QQitemZ350239801364

Here's what is says about it:

1.8" ZIF/LIF HDD to SATA Adaptor for Acer Aspire One
    This adapter can convert your 1.8" ZIF/LIF SSD/HDD to SATA
    Compliant with ZIF specification.
    Size same as 2.5" SATA HDD
    No driver is required & easy to install !!

Package Includes
    1 x ZIF TO SATA ADAPTER
    1 x Toshiba type ZIF cable
    1 x Hitachi type ZIF cable

[​IMG]

Stuee, Sep 9, 2009
  2. Stuee

melhiore

One issue: If you have SSD version there is ZIF connector in it, if you have HDD version there is SATA connector in it. I do not see real reason why you want to install this adapter as you already have ZIF in the motherboard - or I'm missing something...

melhiore, Sep 9, 2009
  3. Stuee

Stuee

Hi, thanks for your response. I think you might be missing something though - the adapter is from ZIF to SATA.
    I have ZIF, so fitting this (if it fits) would convert it to SATA, meaning I could use a 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD, right?

I've no idea whether or not that would improve the speed, or whether any 2.5" device would fit inside the case. But that's why I'm asking :)

Stuee, Sep 9, 2009
  4. Stuee

jonljacobi

Looks very much like it has the circuitry to convert SATA to the 110's PATA.

jonljacobi, Sep 11, 2009
  5. Stuee

melhiore

Speed depends on SSD or HDD. SATA is standard as such so data transfer speed is up to device. If you use fast SSD - yes you'll get speed increase. Remember that if you have SSD model you do not have SATA connector in laptop. You need to solder one for yourself... At the other hand you can just connect faster SSD via ZIF and have the same w/o any adapters...

melhiore, Sep 11, 2009
  6. Stuee

Stuee

Exactly. That's why I'm asking about this ZIF to SATA adapter :roll:

Stuee, Sep 14, 2009
  7. Stuee

Stuee

Ok forget it. Case closed.
    On reading more carefully (and it's not all that clear), this converts a ZIF drive to SATA, it doesn't convert a ZIF interface to SATA which is what I had hoped to do.

Oh well, back the drawing board. Unless anyone knows of another way to use SATA devices in a PATA only netbook...?... Nah, didn't think so :(

Stuee, Sep 14, 2009
Ask a Question