Port Replicator

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by amj, Aug 24, 2008.

1. amj

amj

I searched the forums, but didn't see any threads covering this question ...

For home use, I'd like to connect the Aspire One to an external display, keyboard and mouse.
    Are there any good port replicators to make this a simple operation, or will it always be a 3 connection operation?

Cheers,
    AJ

amj, Aug 24, 2008
  2. amj

Stefan

I have seen universal port replicators that connect via usb.
    I have no idea if they work with the aa1 though.
    Would be nice if somebody who has one could test it for us.

Stefan

----------------------------------------------------------
    AAOne sapphire blue, 12GB, Linpus Linux Lite

Stefan, Aug 25, 2008
  3. amj

amj

I found a device from Targus that will replicate USB, audio, and a few other ports via a single USB connection, but it doesn't cover the display connection. For the other functions to work, the computer needs to be running Windows. (I have the Linux version of the Aspire One).

I think I'll just get a USB hub, connect my keyboard, mouse, drives, etc. to that, and then I just have go connect one USB port and one display port.

Cheers,
    AJ

amj, Aug 25, 2008
  4. amj

Speedstep

Targus made a Universal Dock thats USB that Did have video.

Dell used this for the Inspiron 5160 series.

USB2 to video is common these days.

Speedstep, Aug 28, 2008
  5. amj

amj

amj, Aug 29, 2008
  6. amj

z6joker9

I recently set my boss up with the Kensington sd200v (need windows of course) USB dock with video. It does work, but the video can get choppy if the computer is under load. He's using it with a XPS m1330 T8300/4GB RAM and the choppiness is noticeable to me, so I can't imagine trying to run it on a AAO. USB docks are nothing like port replicators. PRs work like a dream. Also, you have to plug in power in addition to USB, so two connections, just to point that out.

When I get XP loaded on mine, I'll give it a test run and report back.

z6joker9, Aug 29, 2008
  7. amj

amj

@z6joker9
    Good points. I think I'll skip the USB idea for video for the home setup, and leave it as one VGA connection, and one USB connection (to a powered hub). From instructions elsewhere in the forum, I have an external 1280x1024 working now, and I'm very happy with what I can do.
    I will be interested to hear how your XP tests go, as it could be useful for my laptop needs.
    Cheers,
    AJ

amj, Aug 30, 2008
  8. amj

z6joker9

I just got my extra gig of ram in and did the bluetooth mod... now I'm just trying to get XP on a USB (having trouble getting ext CD drive to work).

z6joker9, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question