Pointer won't move - arrow frozen in middle of screen.

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by cheryllei9h, Oct 26, 2015.

1. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9h

My mom has a little netbook. It's a gateway. Every time she turns on the computer, it will load but the pointer is in the middle of the screen and wont' move. We have tried to restart and it does the same thing. She has been using my external keyboard but would like to have hers working again. Does anyone know how to fix this?

cheryllei9h, Oct 26, 2015
  2. cheryllei9h

Geozef

If you don't have any knowledge on hardware trouble shooting you need to bring her PC to a certified computer technician. Possible causes are the following - FLEX that connects the touch pad and motherboard were damaged or the touch pad itself.

Geozef, Oct 27, 2015
  3. cheryllei9h

Brian8gbSSDLinux

If you are using Windows... of course you are... while using the external keyboard

While connected to the Internet...

Go into Control Panel - System and Security - System - Device manager is up, to the left - open it...
    Go down to Mice and Pointing devices
    there should be a Synaptics PS2 port touchpad
    Right click that title - you should get the option to UPDATE Driver software - let it...

Hopefully you will get an updated driver installed - you'll need to restart the computer to find out if the Touch pad works now

Alternately - you could use a MOUSE... instead of using the touch pad (having been using computers since 1985 - I prefer to use a mouse - not the touch pad... but that is me)...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Oct 27, 2015
  4. cheryllei9h

KimmyMarkks

So this has happened to my computer and it is only 1.5 years old! It may not be the same issue but its worth a try. Whenever this happens to me I have to unplug my computer and re-plug in. Sometimes I have to do it multiple time. I have a laptop so it’s a little different but I would suggesting completely shutting down the computer and unplugging it,

Other than that I don’t have any advice. I understand the frustration ;(

KimmyMarkks, Nov 11, 2015
  5. cheryllei9h

diligentworker

Why don't you try to restore the computer to a previous date when everything was working just fine? All of your problems may be solved afterwards.

diligentworker, Dec 17, 2015
  6. cheryllei9h

KimmyMarkks

That's a good idea. I have a relatively new Lenovo and whenever I plug it in to the power cord the mouse doesn't work. I have to unplug and re plug it in several times before it works. It's a pain!

KimmyMarkks, Dec 18, 2015
  7. cheryllei9h

Krissttina Isobe

I have the opposite problem a floating cursor and that is a pain too. I found that when I go to chrome settings and in the search box put plugins a window opens. In this window is a selection for your cursor and since I've checked the settings and making sure that the cursor is protected via plugins selection the cursor works better. More clarity of a floating cursor: as I type it floats all over the page, making it difficult to write long paragraphs. In the plugins page you have more control over your computer.

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 21, 2015
  8. cheryllei9h

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:Got another idea for helping with this situation...I found that there is in settings of the browser you can make sure there is no sharing of the cursor or the browser too. Maybe making sure that there is no sharing of the cursor and browser you'll have more control of computer use. My problem has gotten much better. Sometimes too the situation can be solved with virus & malware protection too. Free ones I like is AVG and malwarebytes shared by other forum colleagues here. You're welcome in advance! :)

Krissttina Isobe, Dec 22, 2015
Ask a Question