Please help with everything on AA1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dubplateonly, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dubplateonly

dubplateonly

I bought my aspire one about 1 month ago and have had countless errors, problems and issues. They are all to do with basically wanting it to act like windows and install games. here is a list of problem apps or games:

Problems:

VLC will no install with sudo yum install vlc comes up with an error
    cannot install anything to play .avi accept vlc in wine (crashes the computer)
    red alert 2 on wine, laggy and flashing mouse arrow.
    Commandos behind enemy lines: no cd crack does not work but seems to run fine on menu
    Halo, installed ok on wine, now does not open when i click on the application
    lincity-ng does not work when i click on it nothing happens
    age of empires 2 - very laggy with mouse
    webcam no detected on flash
    cannot install theme hospital on wine
    cannot install rollercoaster tycoon 2 on wine
    Citrix mertframe client, dosent work, got presentation server working then "SSL certificate error" (really need this for uni)
    Java alternative for citrix metaframe does not work so cannot access university work
    VPNC does not work either
    Google earth does not work in wine or with the correct linux installer
    Azureaus torrent does not install

Working:

Drug Lord 2 game on wine, text based but very fun.
    Virtual DJ on wine :lol: happy with that
    Quake III through yum
    other linux games but not Lincity ng

all in all i have spent all this time gatting these things to work and i think maybe i should just get windows XP on the linpus...

if anyone has a solution to any of this especially a citrix client, lincity ng solution and something to stop the lag on all wine installed games.

Thanks.

dubplateonly, Feb 9, 2009
  2. dubplateonly

vanaao

Got a few suggestions for you. As a first-time linux user when i got my AA1, things were pretty confusing too, but I wanted to keep linux for the simple layout and the 15 second boot time was another big plus in its favor.

re: VLC not installing
    go check out macles' blog on the AAone Linux, it has a lot of helpful tips for things such as installing VLC. Just do a search on the blog to find VLC installing instructions.

re: webcam not working
    if it doesn't work altogether i would suggest maybe doing a clean recovery before messing around with it, cuz it should'a been working to begin with

re: azureus not installing
    I just grabbed a different torrent manager. Azureus typically seems to take up a lot of CPU, even on a windows machine. I used the Add/Remove software interface to download and install a torrent manager called Transmission and that works pretty well for me.

re: wine stuff lagging
    On macles' blog is also instructions for setting up a virtual machine. Check that out, cuz I find it really handy. I set up a Windows virtual machine (using a slimmed down Windows XP that's available on this forum) and while I havn't tried using it for games and stuff, it's pretty decent for my iTunes syncing with my ipod and listening to music and stuff. It might lag a bit based on how much RAM you allocate to it, but that's to be expected.

hope that helps you out a bit

vanaao, Feb 11, 2009
  3. dubplateonly

dubplateonly

thanks, i got commandos to run but still some lag and its system requirements state that a 2mb video card is needed so there should be no problem, ill try using virtual machine. got lin city to work and it runs fine. VLC still not working. got a diffrent torrent service. the webcam is working fine just not being detected on flash player.

dubplateonly, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question