Please help me decide

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by georgetoon, Sep 21, 2008.

1. georgetoon

georgetoon

Hi, all!:) I just joined this forum to learn more about the Acer one.

I'm looking at two netbooks. The Asus Eee PC 1000 and the Acer Aspire One. I'm definitely a Linux guy, so that's the OS I'd go with on either one.

Now, with the Asus, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) i know you can tweak the OS to reveal and enable the Xandros KDE desktop environment without harming the system. You can then install updates, programs, etc. and things will continue to work

It appears with the Acer, the XFCE desktop environment can be enabled (through some forum user's methods, etc.), but updates and installation of software after doing so may break the system. Is this correct?

I'm not a big fan of the Linpus interface. I like my Linux OS to be totally configurable by me. That's half the fun of using Linux! :D

Will I be able to get into the native desktop environment better with the Acer of the Asus?

I have nothing against the Linpus environment, it's just not for me. I would just like to know...Am I gonna be able to run XFCE on the Acer One without any problems?
    Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

georgetoon, Sep 21, 2008
  2. georgetoon

scottro

Looking at the specs for the Asus, it seems closer, both in price and in build, to a normal laptop, vs. a netbook.
    The answer is the Asus will no doubt be easier to tweak, upgrade RAM, etc.

That being said, as you noted from your searches, Linpus can be non-trivial to tweak. In my own case, I used the gdm login tweak, added another user, and had that user go with fluxbox, my wm of choice. I then had to create a wpa_supplicant script, edit /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms to get sound to work, but that's probably a Fedora issue, stemming from a decision to tie sound to consolekit.

Many of the things are tied to the xfce desktop--for example, using fluxbox, the wireless card wasn't even detected. It gets modprobed from another script that is apparently tied to the xfce startup scripts. So, it can be a pain in the neck to tweak.

My own feeling, when I was shopping around, was that while the Asus would be far simpler to tweak and/or install something else, that it had become more like a normal notebook--a bit lighter, but with little else to make it stand out from some of the other $500-$500 USD notebooks. It's a bit smaller and lighter, but to me (and of course, this is nothing but my own personal feeling) the whole idea behind these netbooks is in part the low cost with the idea that they're more for lightweight web-browsing, traveling, etc.

Short answer--yes, some of these tweaks might break other things and the Asus will be easier to customize. However, see above as to why I felt (and feel) that at least for me, the Acer was the better choice.

scottro, Sep 21, 2008
  3. georgetoon

georgetoon

Thanks for the reply and info.

What I find so frustrating with both Asus and Acer is that they feel they need to re-invent the wheel with their own user interface. KDE and XFCE are perfectly fine! Why can't they just build in a simple toggle to shut off their interfaces for advanced Linux users while still allowing new users a bit of hand holding? Because the interfaces aren't bad, They are quite easy to use and a god introduction to Linux.

But, I want something more familiar and customizable. And from what I gather, by looking at the threads here on the forums, I'm not the only one wanting to switch interfaces.

If Acer were to build in an easy to use switch, so I can turn off and on the Linpus interface and go easily to the XFCE desktop, it's no longer a contest. The Acer is the one I'm buying...RIGHT NOW! I sure hope the folks at Acer are reading this.

georgetoon, Sep 21, 2008
  4. georgetoon

scottro

I think that, the difficulty of upgrading RAM, the fact that NetworkManager can't connect to WPA2 corporate networks, used by many universities as well as business, and the battery life are the biggest complaints. So far, they seem to only be addressing the battery life by offering the 6 cell.

It seems very foolish to me, since I suspect that one of the biggest audiences for this machine are Linux users. While it's nice that Linpus is so easy for first time Windows users (I guess--it seems as if it would be anyway), anyone used to Linux is going to be quite annoyed very quickly.

Like you, I hope they read some of these threads, but have no idea if they do. If they don't, then they'll probably wind up discontinuing the Linux version, saying almost no one bought it.

That sounds absurd of course, but I think the reason that Dilbert is so popular is that most companies are just like that. :)

scottro, Sep 21, 2008
  5. georgetoon

georgetoon

Agreed. Thanks for your comments.

Really hoping Acer gets the real Linux desktop option on board. Not having it is making me have second thoughts about purchasing.

georgetoon, Sep 22, 2008
  6. georgetoon

rowantree

The RAM comment is fair enough but if Linpus is "Chinese Linux" (hmmm, plenty of punters there then) and it is Fedora which is Red Hat, then surely that's as real as it gets?

Also if it's optimised for the hardware you bought it on why would you instantly go and kybosh it like ubuntu-boy (somewhere else on these forums) that "unleashes the power" and then admits many things no longer work? Hmmm. Bright guy.

I admit I'd never heard of Linpus until a couple of months ago, having used Kubuntu etc before a little bit, but I'm quite happy with what I've bought.

As for the interface, OK, it's a bit numpty, but it sort of (sort of!) grows on you and via the so-called Advanced Hack I appear to have a proper machine underneath.

Also, if Acer plan to sell 6 million of these this year you can be very sure most folk don't want to experiment to death with them, change the kernel, prise them apart etc, they just want a usable working machine so more power to Acer for what you get for the price.

And the other thread white vs blue? White wins. Doesn't show the dirt...! (I previously thought blue looked classier but have changed my mind...)

Cheers,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 22, 2008
  7. georgetoon

georgetoon

Yes, I agree with your points. Yes, I want a a system that works. I'm just saying the option to turn on a Linux desktop, which I've grown accustomed to, would be nice. :)

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard of Linpus Linux , as well. :)

georgetoon, Sep 22, 2008
  8. georgetoon

rowantree

True. I think you should just go for it and buy one - whether you want to hack about or just use it, its a lot of technology for the price, however you look at it... and folk on here seem pretty helpful.

...the other way of looking at it is these things are probably going to change even faster than PCs did before so there will never be a right time to buy one.

There are a lot of reviews kicking about suddenly comparing netbooks. My definition would be sub £250 constitutes a "netbook" (based on a price point) and many of these reviews compare a £199 AA1 with something else at £379 (say) and amazingly the £379 one is better. Get away. So they're not comparing apples with apples and as such are pointless. If I was going to spend £379 on a netbook then guess what I'd spend another £20 and buy a proper laptop.

I bought mine in Tesco's (not a hardware emporium that springs to mind really) and I really went in that night for some milk and bananas...

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 22, 2008
  9. georgetoon

georgetoon

georgetoon, Sep 24, 2008
  10. georgetoon

Mission

I'm struggling to make a decision between a Aspire One with XP and an Asus 901 with XP.

I like the size and looks of the Asus. The price difference however is hard to swallow. I'd go with a Asus 900 except the battery life on that machine has serious problems from what I hear. Plus the power drains out of the battery at a rate of 10% per day even when its off!

I can't understand why Asus is not lowering prices on the 901. You get a hell of a lot more for your money with Acer.

I would not ever consider a 10 inch screen as that is just losing the plot. The aim here is to get the smallest and most portable laptop, not to size up, add weight..etc.

Please help me decide. I'm going back and forth between Asus and Acer.

Mission, Sep 24, 2008
  11. georgetoon

georgetoon

I've read terrible things about the Asus 900 16G. It's quite slow. the performance simply isn't there. Not sure what the reason is, but steer clear of the 900 for sure.

One review on newegg.com reads as follows:

"DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL. The 16G is slow as hell. It's as follows; the 16G includes a single SLOW 16gb Solid State Drive. The 20G includes a very fast 4gb drive, plus a 16gb SDHC card."

georgetoon, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question