Please help, i'm completely lost

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by MattyVigilante, Nov 10, 2008.

1. MattyVigilante

MattyVigilante

OK,
    So I got my AAO about a month ago (A150 with XP 120gb) and have just decided I would like to try out Linux.
    I installed Ubuntu onto the hard drive and I am now dual booting.
    I have never even tried Linux before and have a problem (not surprisingly!)
    I cant for the life of me get my wireless to work, It works fine on my girlfriends laptop and on my XP boot but I dont have a clue how to set it up for Ubuntu. I right clicked the double computer sign at the bar at the top, went to edit connection, filled out my network details and it wouldn't even allow me to click ok.
    I am not a techincal user by any stretch and I have no clue about command codes / prompts at all. If there is a fairly simple fix I will have a go and see where I get. If not then I will just delete Ubuntu and go back to Windoze (which I dont really like!)
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I did have a google for it and all of the responses confused the crap out of me!
    A very simple solution would be great if there is one :)
    Cheers for any help in advance
    Matty

MattyVigilante, Nov 10, 2008
  2. MattyVigilante

rbil

There is a Linux section on these forums and one specifically devoted to running Ubuntu on the Aspire One. You'll probably get better help there from people actually running Ubuntu on these computers.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 10, 2008
  3. MattyVigilante

RockDoctor

Not a dumb question at all. The solution to your problem depends upon which version of Ubuntu you downloaded. If you've got Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), then you'll probably need to download the linux-backports-modules for your kernel, which contains the wifi driver you need for the AA1. Hook up a wired connection, and, from a terminal type the following:
    Code:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-`uname -r`

It may ask for your password, that's ok. make sure the second line is typed exactly as shown; you may want to cut and paste it.

RockDoctor, Nov 10, 2008
  4. MattyVigilante

donec

If you are new to Linux and are using an AAO then I highly recommend you try Mandriva 2009 Gnome from....
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download
    Click on the Gnome dot and select a country and select the site you want to download from often it is a place nearest you. Good luck.

donec, Nov 10, 2008
  5. MattyVigilante

MattyVigilante

The problem is I am completely clueless to partitioning etc and im worried about messing things up.
    Thats why I installed Intrepid Ibex through Wubi and it worked fine, apart from the wireless...
    I would like to do a full install but I dont have access to an external cd drive and the instructions for booting from a usb key are way out of my league...
    RockDoctor, I tried what you said and still nothing, I tried disabling / re-enabling the hardware drivers and rebooting. Im getting so frustrated. Nothing seems to work for me :-@
    Cheers for the help though guys

MattyVigilante, Nov 12, 2008
  6. MattyVigilante

RockDoctor

What you really need is in-person assistance from someone in your local LUG (Linux Users Group). In the absence of such assistance, let's see what we can do.
    1. Run the following code (cut and paste it) in a terminal window and show us the output:
    Code:
    dpkg -l linux* | grep ^ii | awk '{print $2,$3}'
    2. Does your wired connection work in Ubuntu?

RockDoctor, Nov 12, 2008
Ask a Question