please help Aspire One AO52H

Discussion in 'Acer' started by robflo, May 22, 2012.

1. robflo

robflo

Hello everyone,
    I have a real big problem, I spilled some water on my Acer and now I have a black screen,when it turns on, i could see the power light ON, but nothing on the screen, I even tried connecting the VGA using another monitor, but nothing, I read that it could be the Black Screen of Death, so I tried doing the Flash BIOs, using a USB stick, but nothing happens I downloaded the flash bios from acer website, and held the FN & Esc keys and then press the power and it never blinked. it looked like the USb stick was not been read by the computer, I tried it a few time and nothing, maybe I doing something wrong or the file that I downloaded was not the right one. can someone please help me how to bring my Acer back to life? I use it for school.

robflo, May 22, 2012
  2. robflo

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

First things first.
    When you spilled the water how much was there?
    Did you immediately unplug and remove the battery?
    How have you tried to dry out your laptop?

It sounds to me like something has fried but lets not get too hasty yet. If you can answer the above questions then we can look at moving forward.

Paul

P.S. If you havent done the above, do it now ;)

elPaulio, May 22, 2012
  3. robflo

robflo

it wasn't much water spilled, no more than a glass. yes I did, I unplugged right in the moment, i dried the laptop from the outside only, i never opened it, but If it is fried, then it shouldn't turn on. should it?.

robflo, May 23, 2012
  4. robflo

robflo

I forgot to say that maybe my usb stick is not bootable that's why it doesn't read it. how can i check whether or not my usb stick is bootable?

robflo, May 23, 2012
  5. robflo

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

A glass is a lot of water for a laptop!
    It all depends which components have shorted, it may turn on as the power may get as far as the power switch and LEDs but something sounds like it has gone.

I would unplug, remove battery leave overnight in airing cupboard.
    Remove hard drive and try to remove all data on another PC.
    Strip laptop down looking for any burnt out components and then clean everything with Iso-Propyl Alcohol and leave overnight in airing cupboard again.

The reason for the IPA is that when electronic components get wet they corrode and this shorts things out. IPA will clean away most, if not all corrosion, and evaporate away to leave clean contacts.

Rebuild and try to switch on, if it doesn't work then I'd give up as you'd spend more trying to fix it than buying a new one.

The reason IPA might not work is that the short circuiting may have damaged internal components that you cannot see. Chips etc.

Paul

elPaulio, May 23, 2012
Ask a Question