Play DIVX videos with the VLC media player

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bor, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Bor

Bor

I have UPDATED MY INSTRUCTIONS on page 1 of this topic.

Bor, Jul 11, 2009
  2. Bor

kthakur

Hi,

I have tried everything possible, as mentioned to install VLC but am unsuccessful. I went to the ACER site and installed VLC from the link present there. But now I can only hear the sound but there is no video. I am just losing my mind over how to fix it!

Please help.

regards,
    K.

kthakur, Jul 13, 2009
  3. Bor

Jace

hi Bor,

Just though I would let you know, I did the same as kthakur, having read on other forums VLC was available from the Acer website. Of course all the useful video codecs have been omitted, couple with the fact it is an older (and less friendly) version of VLC. Having followed your revised instructions on the first page everything worked like a dream.

The performance is far better than I would have expected from such a low spec machine, it's really good value for money all things considered.

Thanks again Bor...... :cool:

Jace, Jul 17, 2009
  4. Bor

qasimovic

hi, ive just joined up to thank this thread, especially the OP. As a complete newbie to linux, trying to installl vlc, i managed to mess up my coding within a 2 hours to the stage where i needed a system restore. All before i found this thread, 20mins later divx files were running fine one my new aspire one. thanks :D

qasimovic, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Bor

swisschris

Hi,

I did everything that the new instructions indicate, but my acer Aspire one (8gb ssd, 1024 MB, linpus lite) still does not play the videos. It's getting hopeless!

Thanks for any help out there for this. I've probably been to any and all existing forums or threads on this topic and I still can't get this around.

Cheers

swisschris, Aug 4, 2009
  6. Bor

swisschris

(When I say "does not play videos", I mean it does play the sound, but no image on the usual .avi (Xvid) files, although any other computer I have plays that same file on VLC or on a mediaplayer. with both video and sound...)

swisschris, Aug 4, 2009
  7. Bor

vans

Hi, just to say thanks for the information.

I have had my A110 for two days and most of that time has been spent trying to get VLC to work. I was using the version on the Aspire site. Even after following your instructions I could still only hear audio but no video. So U uninstalled VLC and started from scratch, and it worked.

Thanks again

vans, Sep 3, 2009
  8. Bor

DeauViller

Newbie on this forum , followed Bor's updated instructions on page 1 , and we have a full working VLC player ( the one from ACER's download site doesn't work , so uninstall it first ) . :p .
    Thanks a lot Bor , good show :!: :!: ;) . When I followed the last 2 steps system replied something like " nothing to do " , so I believe they 've completed the packages .

Thanks again :!: :!:

DeauViller, Nov 11, 2009
  9. Bor

unclebob113

Installed vlc player successfully but the sound isn't very loud. Same result on a friends acer. any idea of a fix please.

unclebob113, Dec 30, 2009
  10. Bor

princethrash

unclebob,

vlc can go to 400% volume. try fullscreening, then use the mouse wheel to increase volume another 200%. why this extra volume is hidden in this way feels like a serious design abortion.

princethrash, Jun 10, 2011
  11. Bor

jenseeg

Thanks a lot, worked just perfectly.

Best regards,
    Jens Eeg-Olofsson

jenseeg, Jul 9, 2011
Ask a Question