Play.com pre-orders

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by gadgetmind, Aug 5, 2008.

1. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

I pre-ordered a blue A110L from play.com for £199 inc vat and delivery and the start of July but haven't heard a peep since. They are still saying "Due for release on 7/8/2008" so fingers crossed, particularly as they seem to have slammed an extra 30 quid onto the price since I ordered!

Anyone spoken to Play to check whether the 7th is still possible?

Ian

gadgetmind, Aug 5, 2008
  2. gadgetmind

Beldar

Why not just call/write and ask yourself?

Beldar, Aug 5, 2008
  3. gadgetmind

Darren198712

Darren198712, Aug 5, 2008
  4. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

Yup, I'll do it tonight if no-one else has already hassled them.

Ian

gadgetmind, Aug 5, 2008
  5. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

I prefer SSD to HD, and TBH given what we'll use this thing for, we just don't need the space. But if Dabs actually have stock and are shipping ...

Ian

gadgetmind, Aug 5, 2008
  6. gadgetmind

olegz

I preordered a AA1 A150L from play ages ago, the scheduled release date is today and the order status has changed to "Order Taken". I don't know if this means that they have them in stock, as the product page is showing "temporarily out of stock". I prey that they send mine today! I want it NOW.

Does anyone know how play.com sends expensive items? I know they use royal mail, but is it special delivery or just standard recorded delivery?

olegz, Aug 7, 2008
  7. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

Yes, I also noticed the change, but like you don't know if it tells us anything useful!
    Ian

gadgetmind, Aug 7, 2008
  8. gadgetmind

barney15c

I rang Play.com just now (16:00) to find out the status of my pre-order (Blue 1GB 120HDD Linux) and the Customer rep told me that they received sufficient stock to fullfill only 30% of all pre-orders let alone anyone who wanted to order online immediately. He was unable to say when the next consignment was due (a few days.. couple of months etc) but thought due to the high demand of the Acers that it would probably be sooner rather than later. I am going to hold on for a week or so to see if the situation changes otherwise I will be going to Amazon (unless the stock levels are no different).

barney15c, Aug 7, 2008
  9. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of things on order from Play that are just saying "Order taken" and no hint as to delivery date. I guess they keep prices keen by holding very little stock.

Like you, I'll give them a week to catch up and then take my business elsewhere.

Ian

gadgetmind, Aug 8, 2008
  10. gadgetmind

olegz

I just couldn't hold out any longer. I also phoned customer services and was also told they don't know when more stock was due. I canceled my play.com order and after searching futilely elsewhere, I ordered an Advent 4211.

olegz, Aug 8, 2008
  11. gadgetmind

gbee

Has anyone who pre-ordered one at £199 actually received it? I don't think I've seen anyone who has so I'm wondering if they are just giving us the run around.

Has anyone spoken to play.com lately and got a useful response? Both times I called I just got someone who sounded pretty vague "Well it must mean that we're waiting for stock", "No I can't tell you when we expect stock", "I assume we'll honour the price" etc

gbee, Aug 15, 2008
  12. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

They were even less helpful with me. Refused to take order numbers or other details and just said that they send stuff when they send it, and if I didn't like this then cancel the order.

It's not just the Aspire One I'm waiting for, I have an order for another item with Play.com where they have the best online price, but oddly never seem to get stock. Classic bait and switch.

Isn't there an Advertising Standards Authority rule that you must be able to supply advertised goods within 28 days?

Ian

gadgetmind, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question