Photographer with New Aspire One Need Expert Help

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by wastanierfrs, Nov 22, 2008.

1. wastanierfrs

wastanierfrs

Ladies and gentlemen

Can someone help me? I have just bought an AS One 120 gig+Linpus Linux as a photo storage device.It is a fabulous machine for the job as the screen is incredibly sharp and the whole deal is better than say the Epson P3000 device.
    I use a pair of Canon 400D's and only shoot in Raw.The default image viewer (gThumb??) is fantastic as it does a slide show at the same time as it magnifies the image -A BRILLIANT combination for checking (and discarding) images in the field.The snag? It doesn't read the native Canon .CR2 RAW file format !! So I now have to shoot in JPEG which is a really dumb thing to do.

I have tried various sites to no avail as I simply can't seem to get across my message that I am a COMPLETE novice with Linux.I can't understand the terminology.I have received advice and questions about "which file manager do you have?" "changing distros" "reloading with ubuntu" "joining a linux forum " etc etc But I am a photographer, not a computer expert. I didnt even realise the machine was Linux not Windows XP!!!
    Does anyone know of a SIMPLE way to view (slide show +magnification would be wonderful if possible) Canon .CR2 files.I do not need to edit or process them, as I do this "back at the ranch" with Photoshop.I realise I might need a bit more RAM and I am plucking up the courage to fit another Gig of memory.If I need to download something I can just about do that,but what and EXACTLY how do I install it?

It's probably a big ask (and outside the remit of the forum?) but can anyone help please.

Thank you
    John Parker

wastanierfrs, Nov 22, 2008
  2. wastanierfrs

Duncan_Rowland

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 22, 2008
  3. wastanierfrs

wastanierfrs

HI
    Lost already! What is wine? The Canon website seems to have no Linux version of the DPP software.
    JP

wastanierfrs, Nov 22, 2008
  4. wastanierfrs

rbil

rbil, Nov 22, 2008
  5. wastanierfrs

markh

f-spot (which I noticed was on the list rbil linked to as well) offers a fullscreen slideshow, but not magnification on that slide show, and allegedly supports raw. It's strength is viewing, tagging, and then keeping or deleting photos, but no real editing, so that might fit your bill. There's a comprehensive set of instructions on this link: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/inst ... e-one.html which should get you through if you decide you like it.

To answer your other question, wine is a windows emulator - you effectively get a copy of windows running in addition to linux. So you could launch that, and then use the windows version of the canon software in it.

markh, Nov 22, 2008
  6. wastanierfrs

RockDoctor

All I've got for a camera is an Oly C740 UZ (jpeg only), but when I needed to convert some (Sony??) raw files my aunt sent on a CD, I used ufraw. It's slow (one image at a time). May be worth a look

RockDoctor, Nov 22, 2008
  7. wastanierfrs

daldred

Digikam will handle raw files from a variety of cameras (it's not a fully consistent format), but may well require quite a lot of space as it's part of the KDE envioronment and so will need to install various bits of KDE to run well.

daldred, Nov 22, 2008
  8. wastanierfrs

ajlcary

Picassa3 (Google) will read and edit Canon Raw CR2 files on Linux and XP. It is currently a beta for Linux.
    There are also converters for GIMP.

Good luck.

ajlcary, Dec 4, 2008
  9. wastanierfrs

handy388

how about returning the machine and get a windows XP one instead? learning a new operating system for loading a photo isn't really worth the trouble.

handy388, Dec 4, 2008
  10. wastanierfrs

nucmanchh

So many problems with function and software compatibility -- why would anyone purchase an ASO with Linux?

nucmanchh, Dec 5, 2008
  11. wastanierfrs

markh

Because it's fun?

markh, Dec 5, 2008
  12. wastanierfrs

lohtse

You could always install XP and remove linux. :D that way your problems are solved.... Plenty of guides in the forum on how to remove linux and install XP... May be the only real solution for you.... :) :)

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 5, 2008
  13. wastanierfrs

daldred

Because they know full well you get just as many problems with software in Windows - and the Windows software has even more compatibility issues as it usually fails to support open standards.

daldred, Dec 5, 2008
Ask a Question