Performing fresh install of XP

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by {RainmakeR}, Oct 28, 2008.

1. {RainmakeR}

{RainmakeR}

Hi all,

I'm new to AAO's, I just picked up a white 1.6GHz/120GB/1GB version the other day, with XP home pre-installed. I would like to install my own copy of XP Pro and customise with my usual tweaks, but are there any caveats that I need to be aware of? I have created the bootable XP installer flash drive as per the instructions here, and I've tested it up until the point of beginning the setup and it works fine so far.

Some quick questions, I apologise if I've missed the answers in the forum already... I noticed the hidden PQSERVICE partition, I assume this is the system recovery partition? I'm guessing I should I leave that in-place and not delete it? To do a fresh XP install, is it safe to wipe the existing system partition and create a couple of new ones (I like to have smaller one for Windows, and another larger one for data files)? I noticed the PQSERVICE partition is the first on this disk, will this affect the lettering/boot of other partitions? Also, is NTFS or FAT32 preferred on the AAO?

Thanks in advance,

{R}

{RainmakeR}, Oct 28, 2008
  2. {RainmakeR}

TKD

I deleted all the partitions on my A150. Created one partition, and installed XP Pro on it. All the drivers are at the ACER website.
    I used NTFS for security and other things I don't have time to go over. FAT is very limiting. You cannot copy large files using FAT for example.
    I also used an external CD drive to install XP Pro.

TKD

TKD, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question