Pendrive storage

Discussion in 'Storage' started by vinaya, Jun 29, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

Currently, I am using 8 GB pendrive storage. Pen drive storage allows me to move data from one computer to another or carry data where ever I go. Even though SSD disk does better job, pen drive is easier to use and very portable. Recently, I bought 64 GB pendrive on ebay and I expecting the delivery anytime soon.

vinaya, Jun 29, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. vinaya

Corzhens

Pardon me for this is the first time I've heard of pendrive. But from the looks of it, you are rerferring to a USB stick. Anyway, that 64GB of USB storage is big enough for portability - moving or copying files from 1 computer to another. My question is the integrity and durability of the USB with big capacities. I am using the 8 GB for now but I was gifted with a 32 GB last Christmas which didn't last for long. The error was the message to format but before that, the message was it cannot read the device.

Corzhens, Jun 29, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. vinaya

IBMPC8088

The USB thumb drives (sometimes called pendrive or usb stick, it is the same device) are usually reliable as long as they are taken care of and not dropped or thrown around too much.

When I first got a 64GB usb thumb drive a few years ago, I got 2 of them and mirrored one to the other; one that went everywhere with me, and one that stayed safely at home to never be used or bumped around too much. To my surprise, I haven't had to worry about the integrity of either one since they've both been ideal drives, and just as durable and useful as the 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb drives. The drives I have vary between PNY and Sandisk. I usually avoid the generic name brand of drives because you can never be sure about them, but have never had any of my usb drives stop working or lose data on me from those companies, and from the above sizes.

I still have a 1gb and 2gb drive from 8 or 9 years ago that still has mostly good cells on it for reading and writing despite many years of use.

One thing I will say though is that I have not had the same luck with MMC or SDCards. I was very upset about 4 years ago when I had important information on an SD card briefly and didn't have a chance to save all of it to a usb drive or external drive. It went through a situation that normally a usb drive would have been fine with, but the SD card did not make it, and although it was able to be formatted and readable/writeable again, 4gb out of 16gb could not be recovered (and was one of the few times that recovery attempts on alternative mediums did not go as planned or well at all), and I was very upset to where I decided to never use MMC cards anywhere except on phones where they never had to be removed or store anything that wasn't already saved elsewhere, or digital cameras.

I hear that they are using them in some types of chromebooks and cloud books, which is all the more reason for me to stay away from those systems on top of other things. The last thing I would ever need is to be using a portable computer with important data in a small space but still end up losing it all because of that.

The usb drives are usually reliable though. You shouldn't have to worry about them whether it's an 8gb drive, a 64gb drive, or even a 128gb or 256gb drive. Just remember though that the more data you have on it, the more data there is to lose.

Always back up and be safe if you can. Even if it means storing the original on another computer system or regular hard drive at home, it's just one more way to protect the data that you need on the go, but not have to lose anything but the physical drive if something happens to it.

One compromise if on limited space with other storage backups (and you don't want to trust the cloud), is to only save what is original and cannot be redone or found online.

So for example, if you had your resume, phone contacts, personal photos, artwork, programs, or schematic designs, you would definitely want to save those and more than one copy of them if you can elsewhere.

If the rest of the drive is music or movies, don't worry about those too much if you can always download them again and they are online. You won't really be losing them then, only having to take time later to get them again...whereas anything irreplaceable does not have that luxury and must be saved first.

If you want to be more safe than sorry, and you can get another 64gb drive, that might be the quickest and easiest way for you just to mirror what you save on it and do what I used to before I was sure about it.

IBMPC8088, Jul 1, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  4. vinaya

vinaya

USB storage device goes with many name. The word pen drive is more frequently used in our place. The first USB stick I had was 512 MB, it was from Sony and it lasted for many years. When I had the device, biggest storage capacity for USD drive was only 2 GB maximum. Currently, I am using 8 GB USB drive, which comes handy when transferring files or carrying files.

vinaya, Jul 1, 2016
    Corzhens and IBMPC8088 like this.
  5. vinaya

SirJoe

It's all a question of marketing. Since it's the same size as a small pen it was marketed as a pendrive in certain markets, but in general it's simply called a usb stick.

SirJoe, Sep 18, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  6. vinaya

rz3300

Well thanks for that explanation, because I really came in wondering what exactly a pendrive was. Now that I think about it, though, I kind of wish that they marketed it like that here, because I do not recall hearing anything like that. I think it would have worked on me, at least, and maybe some others. Interesting stuff, though.

rz3300, Sep 18, 2016
  7. vinaya

SirJoe

It does have a nice wring to it but most USB sticks don't look anything like a pen. I have friend of mine that actually pulled a prank on everyone on facebook with a USB stick. She posted an image similar to this one but with the USB part covered up. She caught a lot of people out. :D
    [​IMG]

SirJoe, Sep 21, 2016
  8. vinaya

Karen Gordon

Yes, I know a pendrive as a USB stick. I never even heard that comment before, but it is something that comes in handy for extra storage space and can be something used by those who want to have a bit extra space for their files and what not.

Karen Gordon, Sep 21, 2016
  9. vinaya

AntonioCalcano

It depends on the amount of data you're transferring for large amounts an SSD would be a better choice and for smaller amounts a pen drive would be a better choise. So it's always about finding out which is the more practical option and going with it. I belive now pen drives are more practica for the most part since SSDs are more for OS and internal storage.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 26, 2016
Ask a Question