PEAP? WPA2 enterprise?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rgarg, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rgarg

rawls

I've updated my network manager and get this:

$ sudo yum list | grep NetworkManager
    NetworkManager.i386 1:0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675. installed
    NetworkManager-glib.i386 1:0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675. installed
    NetworkManager-gnome.i386 1:0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675. installed
    NetworkManager-openvpn.i386 1:0.7.0-2.svn3047.fc8 installed
    NetworkManager-vpnc.i386 1:0.7.0-0.4.svn3030.fc installed

I can now choose WPA & WPA2 Enterprise from the Wireless Security drop-down dialog box. I have tried several times to connect using the following settings:

Wireless Security: WPA & WPA2 Enterprise
    Authentication: Protected EAP (PEAP)
    Anonymous Identity:
    CA Cert: unicert.pem
    PEAP Version: I've tried both zero and one several times each.
    Inner Authentication: MSCHAPv2
    User Name: My user name
    Password: My password

I have been unable to connect. The Linux installation guide on the university's website is helpful but has the following instructions:

* Left-click the applet.

* Select "Connect to Other Wireless Network...".

* Enter network name "UNIVERSITYWLAN"

* Select Wireless Security "WPA enterprise".

* Select Key Type "TKIP".

* Select identity (enter your university user name).

* Enter your password.

* Click "CA Certificate file", and then navigate your file
    system to find "unicert.pem" that you downloaded in step (2).

* Leave all other fields unchanged, including the blank ones.

* Click connect.

What gets me stuck is that I don't have a key type option. So I can't select TKIP. I've tried following the rest of the instructions but that doesn't work. Is there any way to get WPA-Enterprise-TKIP to work on Linpus or am I going to have to install unbuntu? This is my last hope, as Acer support and my university technical help have not been able to provide a solution.

rawls, Jan 13, 2009
  2. rgarg

flavouredvanilla

Sounds like something similar to my University. The solution I found was to leave the certificate out.

Try giving that a go. :)

flavouredvanilla, Jan 13, 2009
  3. rgarg

rawls

Thanks for the suggestion, although unfortunately it didn't work.

I thought I'd provide a little more information in the hope that it makes my problem a little clearer to any network gurus out there.
    I have no problems connecting to WPA/WPA2 personal connections and here is the URL to my university's (rather lackluster) linux set-up guide:
    http://www.helpdesk.bham.ac.uk/laptopsu ... inux.shtml

rawls, Jan 14, 2009
  4. rgarg

WLANstan

@rawls -

Try putting your user name in the "anonymous identity" field instead of in the "username" field. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but works something like this:

PEAP first builds an encrypted tunnel (think of it as a secure session between you and the authentication server) to transmit your credentials securely. NetManager/wpa_supplicant uses the "username" to establish the tunnel, then it transmits the "anonymous identity" as the user name once the encrypted tunnel is created. Since the PEAP sends the "username" field in clear text to establish the encrypted tunnel, it is really just a dummy element and you can enter anything you like in that field. Security best practices would say NOT to use your real user name in that field. Personally, I use anonymous as my "username" and my real ID as the "anonymous identity". Your password is always sent though the encrypted tunnel so prying eyes can't see it.

Weird but true - try this and it should work for you...

Oh, at our university, the other parameters are "WPA & WPA2 Enterprise", "Protected EAP (PEAP)", PEAP version 0, MSCHAPv2. Our authentication server uses a Verisign cert - the CA that is used to authenticate the cert is available here: https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/ ... 9681352508

Choose the second one on that page - VeriSignTrustNetwork.cer - if your school's authentication servers have a VeriSign Class 3 WLAN cert.

Cheers!

WLANstan, Jan 26, 2009
  5. rgarg

szesea

after installing the package, another problem occurs.

it is that when the power saver starts, when i return to the computer, the network icon disappear and i can't connect to the internet.

therefore i hv to reboot the computer again to connect the internet.

it seems someone hv mentioned this problem b4,

can anyone give me a solution as i don't reboot the computer so many times !!

thx

szesea, Mar 12, 2009
  6. rgarg

jjj

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2620&p=77521#p77521

jjj, Mar 13, 2009
  7. rgarg

vanaao

could I get some help with this upgrade to Network Manager?
    I've downloaded and tried to use IM's script. I've tried it several times now, and each time, my system comes up with a bunch of errors and then I have to use my backup stick on it. I have made a few modifications to my AAO, including installing various apps and programs, and also upgrading the RAM and putting in a diff wifi card (Intel 4965 -- or something, the one that has N capabilities)

Before I use the script, this is what my system shows
    When I use the script, I get screens and screens of incompatibilities and conflicts with files and i assume, previous installations.
    I get exit with status 1 on some of the attempted updates
    I'm not too clear on it because after each time I do it, I lose internet and can't post a direct copy-paste.

It's not a huge issue for me, because I can still connect to the internet at school, but a more reliable, automatic sign-on would be better, is all. Is there any way to find out what's going on with this and how to fix it?

Thanks

vanaao, Mar 17, 2009
  8. rgarg

szesea

thx, the icon now appears
    but coz i connect to wireless network, it will disconnect when the power saver starts, and hv to reconnect when i return

are there any solutions to keep the wireless keep connecting?

szesea, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question