PEAP? WPA2 enterprise?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rgarg, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rgarg

IMSancho

OK please DO NOT try to grab the packages yourself as described in that post, if you read the few posts after that you'll see that some of them aren't on the mirror anymore and you'll end up removing packages and not having the new ones to replace them. I'll edit that post so hopefully noone else makes the same mistake.

The post you should be following is THIS ONE

I doubt calling Acer will help, you could ask if they are going to update their version of NetworkManager to support WPA Enterprise soon but they aren't going to want to help you with modifying the operating system yourself....

JaegerWulf: Sorry to hear things didn't work out, sounds like your university uses a pretty strange wireless setup (who still uses WEP!?! :shock: ) I know you said you tried every combination but were you also entering your username as 'TTU\username' (as they require domain auth)? If you change your mind or aren't able to get a swap let me know, we may be able to figure out where things are falling over by looking through some logs.

IMSancho, Sep 25, 2008
  2. rgarg

whalertly

downloaded, in my download directory, now, to change to that directory i simply type
    cd /home/user/downloads
    right? (this part might be the issue)

i would call acer to ask about expected support for it, mention that my review of it is well read, mention i will be changing it, and say for business and school users (one of the targets) most can not use it properly due to not having the most updated wifi allowence

whalertly, Sep 25, 2008
  3. rgarg

whalertly

According to acer tech support:

the wireless networking card included in the AA1 does not support WPA enterprise and it is unable to.

in other words, there will be no acer support for it

whalertly, Sep 25, 2008
  4. rgarg

JaegerWulf

Yeah, I tried TTU\username and just username. It wouldn't work. I'm going through and using the Dynamic WEB settings (yeah... I know...) again.

Interesting thing.... I typed in TTUnet (the name of the access point(s) that I am trying to connect to). And it hooked me up to TTUguest which is set up for conferences. It actually accepted my username as TTU\username. That's odd and it shouldn't work like that. I am in the Library right now, which is next to the only place that has an access point to TTUguest. Its not connecting to TTUnet but going to guest instead... and working... I don't understand it. I'm going to keep trying other ways to connect to TTUnet.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to return the computer and exchange it (I picked it up in another city... the only place that sold it around here). I'm wondering if I can install XP on it, but found that there are issues with XP on SSD. Oh well.

JaegerWulf, Sep 25, 2008
  5. rgarg

IMSancho

Keep in mind that Linux is case sensitive, and the Downloads directory starts with a capital, so it should be

cd /home/user/Downloads

IMSancho, Sep 25, 2008
  6. rgarg

whalertly

that might be the issue, trying it now

that said, it kept coming back with '... conflicts with file from package NetworkManager..."

whalertly, Sep 25, 2008
  7. rgarg

whalertly

side question, would using the file database (add remove after initiation of the right click menu) and adding the gnome desktop manager Netmanger fix this issue?

whalertly, Sep 26, 2008
  8. rgarg

Aldeyn

Okay, I did all the changes and now have the ability to connect again. My password is remembered. Fine.
    Steps how I got there:
    1) viewtopic.php?p=7401#p7401
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-gnome
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps NetworkManager-glib
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps krb5-auth-dialog
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps NetworkManager*
    sudo rpm -ivh --nodeps krb5-auth-dialog*
    2) viewtopic.php?p=22308#p22308
    sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

But one problem remains, which may be solved with some help:
    When my AA1 goes to standby and resumes, the nm-applet ist shut down and must be restarted with "sudo nm-applet &".

Any solutions? Sorry, my English writing skills are rater poor.

Edit:
    I think, the problem might be somewhere in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager

Aldeyn, Sep 26, 2008
  9. rgarg

Aldeyn

I found a solution to this Problem.

I opened /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager and commented out the two killall commands. Now everything works fine. I checked with the original file and it was not edited during "update" of NetworkManager.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

. /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions

suspend_nm() {
        # Tell NetworkManager to shut down networking
        dbus-send --system                         \
            --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager  \
            /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager        \
            org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.sleep
    	#killall -SIGPWR nm-applet
    }

resume_nm() {
        # Wake up NetworkManager and make it do a new connection
        dbus-send --system                        \
            --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager \
            /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager       \
            org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wake
    	#killall -SIGUSR2 nm-applet
    }

case "$1" in
    	hibernate|suspend)
    		suspend_nm
    		;;
    	thaw|resume)
    		resume_nm
    		;;
    	*)
    		;;
    esac

exit $?

Aldeyn, Sep 27, 2008
  10. rgarg

whalertly

Okay, so I downloaded it again (was not home so the giant gap is due to that), followed your instructions, unpacked it, and started to install it

had to answer Yes to it will change...

I then run into the following issues:
    The first 4 all prepare and install properly
    the 5th prepares but than has a conflict
    the last 3 and just say that they have a conflict

it keeps doing this, any help

whalertly, Oct 4, 2008
  11. rgarg

szesea

as i am new to my AOA 110,
    i want to ask how to/ where to type the command & install script?

also i hv dl the package, it contains 5 rpm files,
    do i need to install all of them one by one first?

thx

szesea, Oct 7, 2008
  12. rgarg

szesea

btw, after installing the new one,
    should i need to remove the old one?

can i do the removing from Add/Remove Software ?

thx ~

szesea, Oct 7, 2008
  13. rgarg

IMSancho

The commands are entered at the terminal, press alt+f2 and type in terminal and hit run. As a few ppl have had trouble recently just hold off for a bit, I'll reset my One to the default image later today and test that the package hasn't gotten corrupted or something.

IMSancho, Oct 7, 2008
  14. rgarg

needwpa2enterprise

Hi. I downloaded the package from here and ran the script and I ended up with the situation where clicking on the network manager in the desktop won't bring up a window. However, it connected to my home network just fine (thankfully, I had previously set it up). I brought the machine to school to try it out, but now I can't get the icon to display in the tray. I've tried rebooting and it never comes up. At one point while at home, it had asked me if I wanted it to keep telling me when it couldn't connect, and I said no because it was extremely irritating, and now I would like to change that back, obviously. I've found a file where this setting seems to have been saved (/etc/NetworkManager/preference) but I can't edit that file no matter how hard I try. I type sudo, enter my password, and then vi preference, but nope, can't edit. I try opening it in OpenOffice, but of course that doesn't have the proper rights so I can't edit it there either.

I need help with:
    1. Getting it to display that icon again.
    2. Let me set up a new network connection (using wpa2 enterprise, obviously).

I don't care if Network Manager never works properly after this. I just want my two networks (home and school) running and that's it.

Oh, and... NEARLY EVERY ORGANIZATION USES WPA2 ENTERPRISE. Who the heck would sell something that doesn't support it? I bought this thing knowing it didn't support it, but I found lots of references to people successfully upgrading their network manager to support it. So I thought i would take a chance. Did I make a mistake? I hate Linux, but I'm willing to put up with it if I can just get it set up properly in the first place (and then never mess with it again). These mini laptops are extremely hard to find where I live, and the Linux ones are the only ones available right now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some suggestions.

edit: Oh I would like to add that the computer updated itself when I first turned it on. If there are any issues stemming from versions or something, that could be it. there was a network manager update included in the patches. I don't know dates or version numbers or anything.

needwpa2enterprise, Oct 7, 2008
  15. rgarg

needwpa2enterprise

OH MY!!

I rebooted my computer and the icon came back (so I will investigate that fix above) and I was able to connect to my school's WPA2 Enterprise network!!

YAY!! Thank you for all your help! (no seriously - posting about my problem ALWAYS magically makes me somehow solve it right after whining about it. So thank you for providing a forum, hehe)

16. rgarg

needwpa2enterprise

I applied the little fix found on the previous page to stop the program from dying off when the machine is put to sleep and all is well. I've achieved 90% perfection. The other 10% will come when it remembers passwords. So at the moment:

1. Machine purchased and updated automatically (presumably from an Acer server, although I couldn't tell) yesterday (Oct. 6, 2008).
    2. Downloaded the tar'd files from here, ran script. Got the usual warnings but it installed anyway.
    3. Network Manager no longer displays anything if you click it on the desktop.
    4. A new icon displays in the tray in place of the previous network manager icon, and from there you can set up any network. (just click it)
    5. Connects to any type of network, including WPA2 Enterprise (YAY).
    6. Refuses to remember any network passwords now, seemingly ever since I entered the info for a second network (previously to that, I'm pretty sure it was remembering my home network). Remembers SSIDs, though, even ones that aren't broadcast.
    7. Modified the script /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager as described on previous page and now computer attempts to reconnect after sleep, but asks for password each time.

17. rgarg

IMSancho

The conflicting files error that was being generated before was from the NetworkManager-vpnc package not being able to update over the old one. I've fixed that up in the script so it shouldn't cause any problems anymore, and put my One back to factory image and tested last night with no problems. I've never had any problems with network manager not resuming on standby, I wonder if there is some other package that causes this for some people? Anyway it seems the fix on the previous page has cleaned this up for the few it's affected so not a big deal.

There is a thread already about disappearing passwords needwpa2enterprise, check it out here and see if one of the fixes works for you.

IMSancho, Oct 8, 2008
  18. rgarg

szesea

i hv problem while installing.

i can't install NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.i386.rpm

i wait so long for the resolving dependencies for updates, but it can't finish = =

when i try to install other 3 rpm files, there is error resolving dependencies
    as there is missing dependency (i think this is the above file which i can't install)

i just can install krb5-auth-dialog-0.7-5.fc8.i386.rpm

anyone can help?

thx

szesea, Oct 8, 2008
  19. rgarg

IMSancho

Why are you trying to install them separately? I've just spent several hours imaging my one, restoring it to factory image, testing that the install script works fine and restoring my image and didn't have any trouble. All you need to do is download the archive, extract it, run the script and reboot.

1. Download the archive from here
    2. Press alt+f2 to get a run dialog, and run terminal
    3. In your terminal, change to the directory you downloaded the archive to, so if it was you Downloads directory type cd /home/user/Downloads
    4. Extract the archive by typing tar xvf A1_netmgr.tar.gz
    5. Run the install script by typing ./newnetmgr.sh
    6. After the script has finished running, restart your laptop

IMSancho, Oct 8, 2008
  20. rgarg

whalertly

with the new system it said that it could not install the first file, then everything else worked as it should. That said, I have yet to test it but by clicking on the 'create new network' option you only have the following four ouptions:
    WEP 128-bit Passphrase
    Wep 40/128-bit Hexadecimal
    WEP 40/128-bit ASCII
    WPA & WPA@ Personal

there is still no enterprise option

whalertly, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question