Pc with A Terabyte?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by MsLucy, Apr 12, 2016.

1. MsLucy

MsLucy

Is there a pc that already comes with a terabyte upon purchase? If so, what brand & where can I buy one?

MsLucy, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. MsLucy

IBMPC8088

There's a few of them in laptops and desktops. Usually you're only going to find the 1TB+ drives in magnetic form, and the SSD drives are about half the size of the magnetic ones or less for now just to stay on top of marketing choices for the public. Realistically they could make them all SSD drives and at the same storage capacity in 2016 and beyond if they wanted to, but they want to keep selling both.

So if you're looking for a desktop or laptop with at least 1tb, you'll find that Dell, Lenovo (Ibm), Toshiba, Asus, Acer, Sony, HP, and other major manufacturers do sell systems with 1TB in them, but (at the time of this writing) most of these drives are 5400rpm magnetic ones. You might find a few that are 7200rpm which will be a little faster than usual, but unless you really need to store it all on a single machine without external storage or a travel/carry usb external drive, I would probably go the 240 or 480gb SSD route and just use an external drive.

Some of the models these manufacturers release do not make it easy for users to get to the hard drive anymore to replace it. They package it into the system on some models to where you have to disassemble the entire thing to upgrade that, whereas other models and older systems never did that (you could just get to it in 3 minutes with a screwdriver and a single screw on the other side of the machine).

If you do buy a model with a 1TB drive, I would make sure that you are able to see a physical model of it before you do to ensure that you can access the hard drive, ram, and battery easily. If not, I would skip over it for another model which you can. Usually those are the 3 things a user needs to be able to get to to maintain and care for their own system quickly and easily.

By changing that design, they've made it to where only technicians can get to it (and it's a PIA for us because it still takes time to do this; a half an hour or so for some models for something that should only take 3 minutes!), and if the user can't afford or have a technician to do this for them, then they are told to dispose of the unit or trade it in to buy a new one...in which case the recipient gets Grade-A parts from your system practically for free, is able to fix minor issues you could have before, and resell it at a premium at your expense while you're forced to buy a new one. I'm saying this here because I know what they're doing to people, and I want you to know of it and be aware of it too so that you and others can avoid that trap they try to place you into.

There's no reason that anyone should have to have a hard drive, battery, or ram sealed into a case in such a way that they can never access it. There's no reason for them to solder ram onto a motherboard to force people to use it and never be able to remove it to reuse said ram on an upgraded system...but they do that too on some models without telling anyone before they buy it.Always always research what you are looking for first from head to toe before putting the cash out for it. You could find the perfect system from HP or Dell with 1TB of space for you...but they might have redesigned it to where it is practically impossible for most users to easily upgrade or manage as a result of their sales and marketing practices.

There are Asus, Acer, and some Lenovo models that are not like that though, and I would seek those out first if you can. It would be much better (my opinion) to buy a system with only a 240gb or 500gb drive in it and replace it with an ssd or 1tb drive, than to buy a system with that drive size already in it, but being restricted by the design to access or upgrade it.

If the drive goes out or needs to be changed, it's going to be a hassle for you or cost you money for someone else to take it apart and do that for you...often times more money than it would have ever been if you had decided to get a model that made those parts user-accessible from the start.

IBMPC8088, Apr 12, 2016
    MsLucy likes this.
  3. MsLucy

Corzhens

Do you mean to say a PC with a 1 terabyte of storage? Sorry if I had mistaken it for a memory, I'm kind of sleepy. We had solicited hard disk prices for 1 terabyte which is more than double that of 500 gb that's why most users here still prefer the smaller version because they can save on cost. What we are looking at is a 1 terabyte for internal storage and 2 terabyte for archiving purposes.

Corzhens, Apr 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. MsLucy

IBMPC8088

OMG, 1 Terabyte of Ram?! I would be in heaven! :D :D :D Right now, the highest I've seen on systems is between 128 to 192GB on distributed servers and hardcore motherboards made for servers, and 32 to 64gb of ram on laptops and desktops in extremely specific configurations (and extremely high price ranges). I would run my entire system out of ram if I had 1TB. That would be so awesome. I want! lol

The price difference of buying a 1TB hard drive to install to replace a 500gb drive is about $15 to $25 on average anymore. If you get it preinstalled, the markets and corporations do charge more...but only because they can and people will pay it. If you get a laptop with a 250gb or 500gb hard drive, it is cheapest to sell that to someone who needs one and use it to offset the cost of a 1tb drive instead. That way you can help someone and get a 1tb for slightly less than it would have cost for a 500gb drive.

IBMPC8088, Apr 13, 2016
  5. MsLucy

FenWoFon

I have seen a lot of Desktop PCs that come with 1 TB of hard disk, however I have never seen laptops with that much memory, I think that is the reason of why many people buy those external hard disks, I personally think they're mostly made specially for laptop users, if I ever find any laptop with 1 TB of hard disk I might share it with you all.

FenWoFon, Apr 13, 2016
    MsLucy and IBMPC8088 like this.
  6. MsLucy

IBMPC8088

IBMPC8088, Apr 13, 2016
  7. MsLucy

GearZ

My primary home workstation has a 1.5TB drive, backed up with an 3TB unit. But that was a rig I built myself. The cost of storage these days is so minor, there isn't much reason to not go big.

GearZ, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. MsLucy

djtech

djtech, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. MsLucy

SirJoe

There are already quit a few laptops that have a hard drive with 1TB of memory. The have been around for a while but since the SSD drives have moved into the market, the tendency is to have faster hard drives instead of very big ones. Anything that you might want to save, can be easily saved onto a external drive.

SirJoe, Apr 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  10. MsLucy

IBMPC8088

1TB of memory? Omg, show me! :D :D (I know you meant hard drive space, but I was really hoping for 1TB of ram!!! :D ) I said it again because I just couldn't contain myself. I would be happy even with 256gb or 512gb of ram but 1tb would be over the top lol

Lately a lot of people have been confusing the two more than usual, and I attribute that to the marketing tactics of those releasing cloudbooks to the public making it harder for them to differentiate to know which is which.

IBMPC8088, Apr 16, 2016
  11. MsLucy

rz3300

I am pretty sure that I have seen something like that when I have been shopping around, but then again my memory is not the best so maybe I am just remembering things wrong...it would certainly not be the first time that has happened. If that were the case, I would agree with the user above in that it was probably a gaming laptop or something like that, because that just seems to make more sense. I bet if you look around though you can find something, which is the great part about the time in which we find ourselves.

rz3300, Apr 23, 2016
  12. MsLucy

fcuco

It is usually better for you operating system to run out of a SSD so the machine boots faster and the overall operation is better. SSD are still expensive in large sizes so today, a 1 TB SSD will be a litte too expensive. As of today, you are better off having a small SSD (250 GB appears to be the sweet spot) and external storage since external storage in the form of 1 or even more TB external hard drives is very very cheap. You can get external 1 TB hard drives for 60 bucks or less, so you keep all your data separate from the actual operating system install, so if you need to re install windows or something all your data is safe and sound sitting somewhere else. We will have cheap 1TB SSD eventually.

fcuco, Apr 23, 2016
Ask a Question